• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this the correct coil?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,
I know for a fact I am going to need a new coil for my '52.

Im looking around the web and see this one, but want to make sure it's the correct coil for my truck.

Please bear with me as I'm completely new to this truck and have never replaced a coil on an MV.

I know they're supposed to be sealed, but not sure if this is the correct one.

All info is greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20220107-010941_Chrome.jpg

Here it is on the M.E. site.

This is the one on the Power Wagon site. They are both comparable in price....

Screenshot_20220107-011428_Samsung Notes.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks right but I wouldn't trust it. If it is a modern one there are several problems with ones coming over on the boat from China.

I'd recommend going to Peter DeBella or holding out for a NOS or takeoff coil.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Peter Debella? Link?

Edit. Found the link. Thanks.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
All,
I know for a fact I am going to need a new coil for my '52.

Im looking around the web and see this one, but want to make sure it's the correct coil for my truck.

Please bear with me as I'm completely new to this truck and have never replaced a coil on an MV.

I know they're supposed to be sealed, but not sure if this is the correct one.

All info is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 855330

Here it is on the M.E. site.

This is the one on the Power Wagon site. They are both comparable in price....

View attachment 855331

John Mc

For those who are looking, you can find Peter's coils at Peter Debella Jeep Parts. From his home page, look under Truck Catalogs, then click "Dodge 3/4 M37". The coil current shows up on the main M37 page, but if that ends up getting replaced, just go to the M37 Electrical section.

Peter looked long and hard for a US or North American manufacturer who would make a run of these coils, but no one was willing. HE finally had to go overseas, but seems to have found a quality supplier. By all reports, the coils are working well.

There was some question shortly after these came out about whether they were appropriate for use with electronic ignition systems. The concern was that the primary coil resistance did not match the original coils. (It was never a concern with a points & condenser system. It had something to do with possible voltge spikes feeding back to the electronic ignition.) While he had no reported actual problems, rather than flood the market before it was proven, he did put up a warning on the site for a time. However, after seeing them installed in numerous trucks with electronic ignitions with no ill effects, he has now pulled that warning down. I've been in touch with Peter several times to check on the status and he has had no reports of problems in electronic ignitions. He sold 10 to a well-known dealer who put one in their own truck and has them out in the field - no problems.

I have a Debella coil in my M37, and know of a local restorer who has used at least one in one of his projects. Both have been working fine. I've driven my M37 on 50 MPH cruises, in stop and go traffic, and on 90˚+ days (including stop and go construction traffic with extended idling when it was 93˚ out). I've put 1500 miles on it with no problems. I'm convinced these are a good deal.

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the parts TM? Sometimes the part numbers can still be found or crossed over to a new number.
I believe I do. I've downloaded all of them I can find. Still offshore and haven't dug into the truck yet, but I know speaking to the former owner, a coil is definitely needed.

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI - I now have about 7500 miles on that Debella ignition coil. Still running with no problems.
Unfortunately, my M37 is still at frame as I picked up the M715 and it kind of took priority as it was closer to "done". Now that the 715 is acting right, I can get back on the M37.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks