• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this the right starter for my M1009 CUCV?

GreesyBlazer43

I just replaced the flex plate on my 86 M1009 CUCV and now I'm looking for the reason it got all chewed up. I am hoping some of you guys out there have looked at there starter more than they have cared to look at it and can tell me if the one I have on mine looks right. The teeth on the gear of the starter are angled, and that doesn't seem right because the teeth on the flex plate are straight??? Sounds like common sense, but I'm no auto engineer. Let me know what you think. I am putting it back together right now and don't want to put the wrong starter back on if it is the wrong one. Here are some pics. Thank You!

Attachments

edpdx

Take it to a starter shop and have them take a look. Worse case is they rebuild it to fit, or sell you the 28MT starter you need. Then clean and sell (after testing) the old one on ebay for some relief on the cost of the right starter.

PropDr

The bevel on the end of the gear helps it mesh when the bendix part of the starter is pushed out engage the ring on the flex plate. Check the alignment and shim as necessary to acquire the proper clearances. Get the TM and read up if you don't understand what i mean.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........................The teeth on the gear of the starter are angled, and that doesn't seem right because the teeth on the flex plate are straight???
Looks to be the right one, although it has seen better days...... :razz:
Angled? If you mean helix cut, NO. Take a closer look and you will see that the pinion teeth are in fact straight cut. Only beveled to one side at their front tip, for the reason described above.

G.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a new flexplate I would at least change the starter drive in your starter so it doesn't chew up the new plate.

GreesyBlazer43

There is no bracket!!! Man I am glad you mentioned that!!! I bet that is atleast part of the reason the flexplate failed, and the starter teeth are chewed up. Its probebly flexing and moving as I start it!

I was thinking the same thing. The starter gear in the pic looks a little chewed up. Also, make sure that starter support bracket is in place.

hre513

There is no bracket!!! Man I am glad you mentioned that!!! I bet that is atleast part of the reason the flexplate failed, and the starter teeth are chewed up. Its probebly flexing and moving as I start it!
Even worse, it can break off starter bolts in the block and even break the block. DO NOT TRY STARTING ANYMORE UNTIL YOU GET A BRACKET! Glad you found your problem.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter

top_prop

I'd replace the bolts as well if you haven't been using a bracket.... they'd be under extra stress... $15 piece of mind at the dealer...

ETA: OP: Nice pics