• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this too good to be true?

ReconGeek

I came acrossed this '71 A2 in my local craigslist, and they want $4,500 for it. I am very tempted...

Here is what he wrote in the ad, anything stand out as a reason not to contact the guy?

1971 AM General M35A2 2-1/2 TON TRUCK (Deuce and a half) (Military cargo truck)
Engine: LDT465-D 6CYL MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
Odometer reads 34,341 miles.
Transmission: Rockwell, 5 SPEED w/ OD
Transfer case: Rockwell, 2 speed (Hi/Low)
Axles: Rockwell 2.5ton (3)
Drive axles: 3 (1 steering, 2 non-steering)
In-bed weight capacity: 10,000LBS on the road, 5,000LBS off road
Pintle hitch (very easy to add a standard hitch. If I still have one at the time of sale, I will include it with the truck.)
Multiple onboard air connections and Gladhands for trailers that use air breaks.

Options that this Deuce has :
Hard top
Troop seats (These fold up to allow full use of the bed and act as taller bed sides)
Heavy/thick vinyl cargo cover (desert tan)
Cab Heater
Air-shift front axle
Upgraded heavy duty electric wipers (much nicer and more reliable than the original air operated wipers)
On-board air (used for the air breaks, but several hookup points). Also have an air hose that hooks up to one of the rear gladhands (air connection for trailers) that will allow you to run air tools, fill tires, ect.
Tire chains (for snow/ice. These are the original heavy duty chains)
Set of heavy duty ramps for driving a vehicle into the bed of the truck (these support the entire weight of my Bronco without flexing... they are strong!)
4 tie down D rings in the bed for securing a vehicle, cargo, ect

The truck starts up and runs excelent! I drove it from Iowa to my home in Hillsboro (~1600 miles) with no issues at all. I have also driven it to and from Sand Lake twice as well as many trips to the Tillamook State Forest with my classic Bronco in the bed along with all my camping supplies, fire wood, food, ect and never had an issue. The only thing that it needs will be an oil change in the near future. The axles, transfer case, and transmission all had the oil replaced last year and have less than 1500 miles since.

Price : $4500.00 or best offer

I may be open to a trade for a nice car trailer with at least 10k lbs GVWR.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my thoughts are, Now that you put it out there it will be gone very soon. I made that mistake once. The M35A2 looks like a great deal. Post the pics..?nopics

ReconGeek

well I have lurked around here long enough to know if I post the ad the truck will be gone before I get a response back, lol... OK, just kidding, a little...

Last edited:

wsucougarx

That guys recovery story is in here somewhere. Hes a steelsoldier.i think he recovered that truck last year and drove it over a thousand miles.i remember the recovery story because a fellow steel soldier saw he had his cargo cover on backwards and his cover was billowed out like a sail.
His steelsoldier name its gofastcrackpipe. Do a search under camp dodge recovery. His story is about half eay down the page. Id pull up the link but im using a droid.

Last edited:

ReconGeek

Sounds like a great find. Have you picked it up yet?
I just found in on craigslist about an hour ago, and came on here and posted within seconds, lol...

Now that I net stalked the seller a little and saw more pic, I might be trying to go look at it in the next day or so.

Capt.Marion

I'd definitely go take a look at it. See if he'll let you drive it, too. That's the best way to decide whether you want a truck or not (be prepared for the first blow of "OD Fever," though!)

Also, you might want to remove the craigslist ad from your posts above:

Forum Rules said:
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about you vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.

Last edited:

ReconGeek

I'd definitely go take a look at it. See if he'll let you drive it, too. That's the best way to decide whether you want a truck or not (be prepared for the first blow of "OD Fever," though!)

Also, you might want to remove the craigslist ad from your posts above:
removed, thanks for the kind heads up on that one...

OD fever, I quess that will be my next search term on this site... But if it is what it sounds like then I might already have it anyhow. I have always wanted a one of these after driving a few in the Army, mostly I drove HMMWV's and Bradleys, but we had a few deuce and a half's as troop transports that were fun to play around with when I was in Germany...

nk14zp

Only you can decide if it's to good to be true. Go take a look at it and if it's worth the asking price to you. Then and only then is it a good deal.. I wish you luck.

ReconGeek

Thanks for all ther reply's, I understand it is all up to the actual truck to know if it is too good to be true, but...

What is the average going price for one of these and what is a condition marker. I know different people see different projects in their own way, but there must be some common rules, right?

For example, body in good shape, running engine, decent steering, braking, and suspension (for what it is, lol) is normally worth X add in hard top it's x+y, then ad in extras like the cover and working air system (should have been covered above with the brakes, I know) then it's x+y+z. So if I just put false numbers in there what is the average truck 3-4K maybe, then add a couple hundred for the hard top + the cover and crew seats is why I thought it might be a good deal, is this correct or are there other things to consider?

F18hornetM

Maybe you need to read "So you want to buy a Deuce" by Clinto. You may know him as a site moderator, and I hear he's a "Wonderful human being". He's also creator of the Georgia Rally.

I can't find the thread it was published in, so here is a PDF copy:

Great article, thanks for posting it again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks