• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is this worth it??

b money

Hello, today my father was driving home and saw a deuce for sale so he pulled in to take a look. after talking with the owner he found out it was a 1977 M35A2 hardtop w/o winch, but it did have a LDS-465-1A continental motor. It has been gov. overhualed (maybe 1990, pictures arnt too clear). my fater said the truck started right up within a second or two even without being started in over two months. the paint(tan) was peeling off in some spots, and i dont know how many miles or hours the truck has on it. the guy is asking $4000. I am wondering if thats a decent price for a non-winch truck. any thoughts on a decent price would be very helpful.

For $4000, your dad could probably get one with a winch, or possibly an M35A3 with the Cat engine, I just bought one out of SC for a final bid of $4800. Lots of people say the Cat engine is a pain and expensive to maintain, but it sure pulls a lot better than the multifuels I have been driving. When I hit a hill with one of my Hercules-powered deuces, it slows down to 25-35 MPH, depending on the hill of course. The Cat keeps a solid 50 MPH on just about any of the moderate hills in northern Alabama, and might slow down a little on a really steep incline, but will still usually do at least 40-45 MPH, which keeps the traffic behind one much happier than an angry parade that usually forms with the multifuel leading the pack.
Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there as food for thought while your dad is still in the decision-making mode. If he shops on GL, he could probably find a decent base-model deuce with a hard top for less than $2k. I have bought soft-tops for as low as $1720, and heard of them going for as low as $800. Another valuable option to look for is the drop-side bed.

Last edited:

b money

On most of the gl listings it says something like unknown running condition and my father(or myself) have no way to trailer a 14000lbs truck. Plus I don't know if any of thoughs are lds motors. Is there any way you can tell on gl?

wsucougarx

The price is all relative on if that's the truck you want for that amount of money. You're the one who has to fork over the cash for it and drive/maintain/operate it. Is the truck worth it to you? I myself have paid an average of about $3500 for the trucks listed at the bottom of this post. Some may say I paid too much, some may say I got a good deal...does it matter what everyone else thinks?...not one bit. When you get down to it. I think I paid what I perceive as the best price.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're not buying it through GL then you're paying above wholesale. Retail trucks, depending on condition, should be worth between $3-$5k. For that money you should know they start, drive, stop and have a title.

I've bought many deuces in the last couple of years and paid less than $2k for each one (w/w and wo/w) but I bought them through GL or from guys that bought from GL then decided they didn't want to drive them home from San Antonio so gave me a deal. I knew they all ran because I had the luxury of going down and starting them before bidding on them (most people can't do that). I also only had about 40 miles to get them from Ft Sam to my driveway. Had I been somewhere without a site close by I'm sure I would have been glad to pay extra to have someone else go through the hassle of getting it from there to here and making sure it was a driver.

So as mentioned before, it's what you're willing to pay. If the truck is sound mechanically and has little or no rust then it's probably a decent deal. But you're the only one that can make that final decision and you shouldn't expect someone else not to make a little on their effort to get it ready to sell.

Last edited:

goodguyzy

Ive noticed the price in the northwest is higher than the east and south, i haven't paid much attention to the northeast, if you could call IL, that. but i would say that's a bit to high. my advice offer 3,000 and meet in the middle. also would advise a private buyer for the first mv.

b money

I'll have to go look at the truck but my father who has been a diesel mech. all his life said it was in really good condition, enough as to just need a little work to be able to go to shows etc. So I'm thinking of offering him 3000 and see where it goes, because to me having a truck that is in good shape and close(2hrs) to me is worth a little extra, but I'm not about to give him more than it's worth.

Go low with the first offer. Play limbo with the seller: How low can U go? I don't care what the guy is asking, if he is looking to sell it, he is probably willing to take what he has into it, or possibly even a loss. Offer him $2500, and let himknow you know of several others being sold not too far away for that price range. If the guy laughs at you, walk away. The market is flooded with these things now, so that means it is a buyer's dream and a seller's nightmare. The simple rules of economics 101 tells us right now is the time to hold off selling these things until the supply begins to dwindle, which is not likely to happen until possible next year or the one after that. I know GL is just now beginning to run a little low, but then you have the ebay and other private seller crowd which is absolutely flooded with M35A2s. Like I said, I would offer the guy $2500 and not go up a penny. If he says no, just say one word: "Next".
I know I have a decent deuce with a soft top I would quickly sell for $2500. It does need the brakes worked on a little, but it runs and drives well other than that. The front bumper and the sides of the bed have some surface rust, but overall, it is fine cosmetically, and even has a new troop cnavas covering with bows.

goodguyzy

if i could get a m35a2 in good shape from a private seller for $2,500, i would take a few more. My friend wants one, i think i will sell him one of mine because the market is so thin in this area.

midcounty

When I started looking at the one I bought, a few people told me 4k was too much. My bottom line was, 15 minutes down the road, pay cash and drive it home, could hear run and test drive prior to buying, and when I said something about a couple tires being worn he through in four like new extras. I also picked up a M105A2 trailer to go with it for next to nothing when it came time to close the deal. I did get a LDS, winch, hardtop, heater, whistler, cargo cover w/bows ect, and anly 25k miles. The one you are looking at.... I would offer him the 3k, tell him it would probably be worth 4k to you if it had a winch, and see what happens. Like mentioned before, it's your money and you are the one that it needs to make happy, not anyone else. You may find a better deal farther away, but it may take a year or so to track down the right deal. I have my first one, so now I am taking time watching for super deals to aquire a couple more. This go around time is not an issue though.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have y'all seen what the deuces are bringing on GL lately? I've seen alot of them going for over 2K (some over 3K). I think the 1k GL duece is a thing of the past and so is the 2.5K private sale deuce.

I don't think 4K is too far out of line when you look at the GL prices lately. I think you're going to see a steady rise in prices form here on out in the GL market and the private market. There just aren't as many around as there used to be.

Josh

Just figuring it has the LDS would add between 500-1500 if you count the cost of the engine + install. Least thats what Id' value that at.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks