• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Island extraction: PR to IN

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If your thinking of getting a truck out of PR, it will have MAJOR rust issues

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Justin Whering brought a 5 ton back from Hawaii to Texas. I think the shipping cost about 3 or 4 times what he paid for the truck. I purchased a lot (a long time ago) from Hawaii, got it for minimum bid ($50 plus GL and tax). Ground shipping via UPS cost $374 - almost $5 per pound. Fuel prices now are almost double what they were then. YMMV2cents

Fishtail

I did notice over the years looking at trucks at PR, USVI (and Guam), that they are pretty rusty compared to stateside. I wouldn't even want to guess what freight is to the states.

Scott

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
No way in the world it would be cost effective......plus you are at the mercy of port workers on both ends who don't care if you get your truck or not.

There are plenty of 5 tons on the market here that would be in much better shape than a PR truck.

jeeplvr247

to ship a 5 ton truck from Philadelphia to Panama is $5000
just to give you an idea
It would probably be a lot more than that. You can take trucks and trains to Panama. To get it from PR, you will have to pay to have it taken on a ship then switched over to rail or truck. I can not see it being worth the money.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would be involved in extracting a military truck from Puerto Rico to the mainland and thence to Indiana?
I suggest you research the item location and proximity to the nearest major port. Then research the port authority website and find which liner services serve the port and operate a route to stateside ports. For example, Crowley operates out of Ft Lauderdale weekly.

With the vehicle data (LWH and weight) you can request a quote from the liner services. You will need an agent on both ends of the journey to assist with the documentation, at additional cost.

The cost effectiveness cards are stacked against you. You are moving an item in the reverse of the normal outgoing supply chain. If the vehicle (I assume it's a 2320 wheeled vehicle) is a deuce or larger, it won't go in a container. Unimogs will fit inside a container, but I am not sure about a SEE.

If the vehicle is not running, you will pay a hefty premium for roll on roll off handling. And flat racking is hideously expensive. A few years back I was quoted 8 large to ship a deuce out of Houston to CR. As a comparison I shipped it out of Ft Lauderdale for 2 large. Finally there is the overland transport from port to your local, usually running at $3.00 per mile.

Having said all that, if your target vehicle is something unique, then all the transport costs are worth a study.

Cheers,

Rick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My pipeline maintenance truck spent most of its life at Roosevelt Roads PR. It was crusty beyond repair. The frame rail flanges were rusted to a sharp edge. Another truck that came off the island, and M54A2, looked perfect on the drivers side, completely rusted away on the pass side. It sat for years with the pass side facing the ocean. Beware of the rust issue with stuff from PR.

Wrench Wench

It's an SEE and at this point, if one of them is to make its way to the mainland, it'll be doing it on someone else's dime and someone else's time. I'll continue looking stateside.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck will fit in a 40 or 45 foot high cube container ( not sure of dimensions on that truck) it can be shipped on container ship and inter-modal rail to your destination or close probably through New Orleans or Houston. You could also pick up at port terminal and drive back?

Shipping, Box rental, port fees, stevedore charges etc need to go into consideration.

Some major lines run roll on/Off ships. A International freight broker can quote.

On Gl there are a few shippers that claim to be world wide and will give you a quote.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks