• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ISO Motor mount plate

bshupejr

Hey, my transmission shop says they won’t warranty transmission repairs without the factory brace bars that go from the NP205 to the bell housing and from the bell housing to the block/motor mounts. I’ve found a set of the brace bars but there is a steel plat that goes under the motor mount with a tab for the bar to bolt on. Does anyone have the plates or have a source for the plates?

Parts diagram attached for reference. The required part is highlighted.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneekyeye

If something breaks on it, they are going to weasel out of covering it anyway, it sounds like. Neither that plate, or that bar is on my truck. Who supplied that diagram?

bshupejr

If something breaks on it, they are going to weasel out of covering it anyway, it sounds like. Neither that plate, or that bar is on my truck. Who supplied that diagram?

Its a GM diagram. Likely the civi version not the CUCV.

To be honest, Im really confused. I called and talked to ORD and they said they dont run those on any of their trucks and they dont have any problems. No CUCV owner Ive talked to has them either. And yet, this cracked bell housing seems to be kind of a common thing. Im not sure what to do. If there is an easy way to shore that up why not do it? If it adds rigidity to to the system would that not make it more prone to breakage when off road?

cucvrus

Cracked bell housing come from loose bell housing bolts and being lifted or high centered on the rear tail of transfer case. Vibrations case cracks and loose bell bolts are the most common issue. I have fixed a few and seen it when the front drive shaft fails at the CV joint. Wrecked trucks have also resulted in broken bellhousings. DSCF6392.JPG

bshupejr

Cracked bell housing come from loose bell housing bolts and being lifted or high centered on the rear tail of transfer case. Vibrations case cracks and loose bell bolts are the most common issue. I have fixed a few and seen it when the front drive shaft fails at the CV joint. Wrecked trucks have also resulted in broken bellhousings. View attachment 800793

What are the chances of this type of damage being caused by fork lifting the trucks around a yard at auction?

cucvrus

Yes that is what I meant by lifting. But after In thought about it I would say NO. Lifting it would have caused the tail shaft to be broken. The Bell is stronger than that. I would say impact or loose bell bolts. Also running with a dented unbalanced driveline. I guess it don't really matter how it happened. It is broken and needs a new case. It is 35+ years old and has been subjected to who knows what use abuse and neglect. It wouldn't be the first one I seen with loose bell bolts. Another thing I seen bust holes thru the bell housing is the flex plate breaking and flying to pieces. Mostly small holes and I never replace the case. Good Luck. If you were not on the other side of the country I have a case I would sell you. Be safe and enjoy the Holiday Weekend.

Last edited:

bshupejr

Yes that is what I meant by lifting. But after In thought about it I would say NO. Lifting it would have caused the tail shaft to be broken. The Bell is stronger than that. I would say impact or loose bell bolts. Also running with a dented unbalanced driveline. I guess it don't really matter how it happened. It is broken and needs a new case. It is 35+ years old and has been subjected to who knows what use abuse and neglect. It wouldn't be the first one I seen with loose belt bolts. Another thing I seen bust holes thru the bell housing is the flex plate breaking and flying to pieces. Mostly small holes and I never replace the case. Good Luck. If you were not on the other side of the country I have a case I would sell you. Be safe and enjoy the Holiday Weekend.
Thanks! I’m in WA but I already found one and am squared away with the repair. I don’t want to do it again though. If a couple hundred bucks on bracing bars will help ensure that then I’m going to try and get it done if I can get the parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks