• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issaquah Rootbeer drive-in show April 9, 2017

JH1

Y'all,
We're about a month out until the very first military vehicle show of
the season. It is at the Triple X Rootbeer drive-in in Issaquah, WA. See
their website at www.triplexrootbeer.com

We always have a great time at that show. Best burgers anywhere, too.
C'mon down with whatever you have, all eras and conditions welcome. Have
something that is in the middle of restoration? Bring it. We can dance
around it and talk about what you're doing with it. The public loves it.

We never know the weather, of course. It has ranged from warm and sunny
to torrential downpour in years past. Even in the wettest times, we
truly have fun, anyway. It's also a good shakedown cruise to get ready
for the rest of the season.

We will be joined by the Emergency Vehicle collectors, this time. They
bring fire engines, cop cars, hearses (hasn't the emergency already
passed?), and rescue vehicles. We park on the east side of the
restaurant and spill farther east into the Group Health lot, if
necessary. Jose, the owner, needs everyone to have their own vehicle
insurance, in case anyone falls or scrapes their pinky on our stuff.

Email me if you have any questions. See you there!

Jim

JH1

Cool. I got a call today from someone in Spokane who will be driving over just to enjoy the show. They aren't bringing a vehicle; just looking. Wow, that's 300 miles!
Jim

JH1

Coming right up! Everyone ready? See the first posting for details. Oh, and come hungry. The burgers are the best.
Jim

Special T

This is kind of a double Post but Brad Meyers has brought his half tracks to this event and supported the Puget Sound Military Vehicle Club. His funeral is on Saturday the 8th at the Snoqualmie Golf Club in North Bend. If some one local from his club showed up for his funeral with some green iron that would be awesome.

JH1

Last call for the Triple-X drive-in on Sunday. The weather may actually work. I've been following the
forecasts all week and there is a hole on Sunday and it's been steadily
there all week, so here's hoping.....

Please try to be there, in place by 0900. Bring whatever you have in
whatever condition. Works in progress are more than welcome.

See you there.

Jim

JH1

The weather was indeed beautiful. We had 40 military vehicles, not counting trailers, plus about 15 emergency vehicles. I took a video as we drove through the event at noon in our Abbot. See it at https://youtu.be/BXXrlmgTle0 Mark your calendars for the same weekend, next year. It was a hoot.
Jim

JH1

Hi,
We trailer it on a lowboy for a half hour ride to the event. The hearses are always an interesting addition to the show.
Jim

Yep - always a solid event and a fun crowd - super low key and chill - it's always nice to be able to bring out a few of my big toys and not drive for hours (the M931 and M543a2 wrecker in the back row were mine)

My person fav was that little Navy GPW in the second row - just a simple clean rig and classy

Matt

JH1

Hobart, eh? Man, you were so close, you could have just pushed the rigs there! :) My personal favorite of your two rigs was the M543A2. The two hooked together was so long it could have stretched between two zip codes. Thanks for coming to the show. Oh, what is the difference between an M543 and an A2?
Jim

Another Ahab

Yep - always a solid event and a fun crowd - super low key and chill - it's always nice to be able to bring out a few of my big toys and not drive for hours (the M931 and M543a2 wrecker in the back row were mine)

My person fav was that little Navy GPW in the second row - just a simple clean rig and classy

Matt
Everything in that show was a treat, and funny because my fav was the two-tone red and white 60's station wagon that popped up in the first minute of the vid. Classic!

Everything in that show was a treat, and funny because my fav was the two-tone red and white 60's station wagon that popped up in the first minute of the vid. Classic!
That's funny - the ford wagon is my buddy Brads - in the video Kelly, myself and Brad are standing in front of it ;)

JH1 - Good to see ya there - on the A2 I am not sure what the main differences are - I know the wrecker bed didn't change until the 900 series and even then the only change was to make the two winches hydraulic vs. line shaft driven...

That rig has the LDS multifuel in it so it might have some with another power plant in the A1 version - I think most out there are A2's and people just call them M543's because it's specific enough - not alot of those beasties running down the road these days; I think most are yard trucks - I need to blast the boom and upper crane and then give her a solid coat of SG Olive Drab as an early Viet-nam era truck with stencils to match

As for being close - the majority of the trip is a cake walk - the hard part is I live at 1600ft and you gain all that elevation in about 3 miles on a gravel road - so the home stretch is a climb!

Give me a year or two and I'll figure out a way to trailer the LVT-4 down

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks