• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

issue shifting to 4x4 Low

rickta24

when i shift to 4x4 low, it sorta grinds. it's less of a grind and more of a metal on metal single creeking sound. it seems like it would grind some if i did it slowly. in the end it shifts into 4 low but what could the issue be?

hopefully not a costly one haha.

mangus580

There will be a 'slight' grind noise as you go into low. The gears have to mesh somehow. How much just depends on how fast everything is moving at the time you shift.

rickta24

really? so just a slight grind when i shift quickly to low is normal??
thanks for the knowledge. this is my first 4x4 so im not use to it.

whew thought i was gunna have to return it to the shop after an $800 bill.

maritimer

make sure that your fully stopped , in neutral, and the engine has "come down" in rpms t oidle, but yes there should be a little "Clunk" when shifting into 4low at least in all the 4x4s i have owneed there has been

86M10086.2L

My M1008 is my first 4X4 too. Mine does the same thing. Sometimes nice and quiet, someimes a little grind. As long as it's not making any noise in 4 high your good. All of my friends trucks seem to do the same thing and they cover the full gammet of the big three, Jeep and Toyota. The standard shift truck not so much, but all the autos do it.

jwaller

you might try it in park. that way you will be sure the output shaft on the trans isnt turning. some of the 400's will spin the output a little even in park. parasitic drag on the clutches.