• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issues flipping the lunette (I've read previous posts)

hoffy85

My buddy and I were working on flipping the lunette earlier and he hit the end of the threaded end with a sledge and screwed up a couple of the threads on the lunette. Now the bolt doesn't want to screw on. I was curious if there is a trick to get the bolt on or if I would need to look for a new lunette or what?

Thanks
Jeff

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trick is to leave the nut on when hitting it with a hammer . Depending on how bad you mashed it they may clean up with a thread file . What model trailer is it , you may need a new lunette if a file doesn't work.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second the thread file. You should be able to work out the marred threads with a good thread file.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not a real common thread. I forget the pitch, but its National Extra Fine (same as a Budd lug nut). There are 2 or 3 thread files, with their various assortment of thread pitches, so best know the pitch before you go looking for one. Depends on how bad you smushed it, but a universal thread cleaning trick is to use a hack saw, to clean one thread groove at a time. You can clean a lot of threads with it. Best if you have the lunette, where you can rotate it in a vise to get the proper angle.

Tornadogt

You can just grind down any portion of the thread that extend past the nut when it is completely installed. Anything after that isn't doing Squat after it is installed anyways. The trick is to hit the ring itsself not the threaded portion. (left and right, left and right, up and down, up and down Repeat until removed Proper instructions for lunette removal :lol:)

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hooked mine to the rear winch of M936. Tied the trailer to a nice sized oak tree, put a little pull on the lunette, banged the hitch 3 times, and the lunette jumped out!

Artisan

PB Blaster is sold at Home Depot. I am a firm believer in that
stuff when used correctly. You can't squirt it and then try to remove
stuff, you need to squirt it DAYS in advance, and a little touch up squirt
every 1/4 day or so before you go after something. It is a "Penetrant"
and you need to give it time to penetrate.

steelandcanvas

There was a study done comparing different penetrants, PB Blaster rated pretty high on the list and WD-40 not so good. I think the best compostion they found was a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF. The study was in Machinist's Workshop Magazine.

hoffy85

Thanks for the info. I heated the threaded end for about 20 minutes with a propane torch and then gave it a good smack with a splitting maul and it popped right now. My buddy was taking the lunette to work and was going to grind down the bad threads. Hopefully it'll turn out good as new. Thanks again!

KsM715

:popcorn:

... I've tried the sledge hammer before but I must not have been hitting it hard enough... I may try the oak tree trick now.
Get the biggest hammer you can and hit the end of the lunette straight on, as if your trying to drive it towards the back of the trailer, several times, along with hitting the sides and top. It will pop loose

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coat the lunette shaft with something like Never-Seize...next time you won't have such a hard time removing it.
I tried that on one of my trailers and it wouldn't get tight. Even after tightening the nut you could still rotate the lunette fairly easy. I ended up taking it back off and cleaning all the anti-seize off.