• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issues shifting into 4wd

HikerMan

Hey everybody, my M1009 is the first 4x4 I have owned so I need a little advice on what might be wrong or what I am doing wrong

To shift into 4x4 I have been finding a level spot, shifting the truck into Neutral, locking my hubs, and then shifting into 4HI, and backing up 10 feet before driving away

HOWEVER, when I try to travel down to 4Low, the transfer case grinds right before I hit neutral...What might I be doing wrong? It is a godawful and unnerving noise and not something I really want to 'force'... Any advice is appreciated!

Dave87

I have had this in my civi 87 pickup. I could be wrong but I don't think its anything to be to concerned about. It is just the tranny free spinning in neutral. I found my truck would do it from 4lo to 4hi. I don't know about my 1028 yet as I don't have a front drive shaft at the moment and its been removed since day one about. I don't think its a big deal, if I'm wrong ill be corrected here soon I'm sure.

HikerMan

Well its been so miserable sounding that I haven't tried to force it into 4Lo...usually forcing things like that doesn't end well in my experience

ralbelt

I put mine in park, engage hubs then I can be in drive to engage 4Hi. To go into 4 low I think I leave it in park until Its locked in, if it doesn't lock into 4 lo then I put it in drive to get things turning. Your results may vary.

HikerMan

I put mine in park, engage hubs then I can be in drive to engage 4Hi. To go into 4 low I think I leave it in park until Its locked in, if it doesn't lock into 4 lo then I put it in drive to get things turning. Your results may vary.
Thanks for the response, I will try that but don't see how it will be any different

Oh well, 4Hi should be sufficient for snow where I live...don't want to blow up my t-case

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey everybody, my M1009 is the first 4x4 I have owned so I need a little advice on what might be wrong or what I am doing wrong

To shift into 4x4 I have been finding a level spot, shifting the truck into Neutral, locking my hubs, and then shifting into 4HI, and backing up 10 feet before driving away

HOWEVER, when I try to travel down to 4Low, the transfer case grinds right before I hit neutral...What might I be doing wrong? It is a godawful and unnerving noise and not something I really want to 'force'... Any advice is appreciated!
Instructions should be on your drivers side visor and can be found in the -10 TM section 2-54 thru 2-56. You should be shifting into 4HI from 2HI not Neutral. For safety, put trans in park before getting out and locking hubs. When shifting into 4LO, you shift from Neutral.
Additionally, when shifting from 2HI to 4HI the truck should be moving, when shifting from Neutral to 4LO, the truck should be stopped.

Last edited:

HikerMan

Instructions should be on your drivers side visor and can be found in the -10 TM section 2-54 thru 2-56. You should be shifting into 4HI from 2HI not Neutral. For safety, put trans in park before getting out and locking hubs. When shifting into 4LO, you shift from Neutral.
Additionally, when shifting from 2HI to 4HI the truck should be moving, when shifting from Neutral to 4LO, the truck should be stopped.
Thanks for the reply

from 2hi to 4hi there have been no issues the way its been going, everything has engaged just fine

but I did like you said and tried in neutral, stopped into 4Lo and still grinding

also, its not a 'clunk' that would kinda make senses, its an unpleasant grinding that pressure does not solve...im worried about changing the transfercase fluid and finding metal shavings aua

anybody else have any suggestions? should i try to just pull it hard down into 4Lo?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always had to give it a good FAST yank. It will grind/clunk/and jerk the truck a little. If it is worse than this, you might want to check the fluids...

Edit, when I say a good fast yank, don't pull the shifter off. It is kinda hard to explain in writing how hard and fast to pull.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission is in Neutral or Park when shifting transfer case from Neutral to 4LO?

Firejareen

The only time you would need to back up is after you shift back into 2hi and have un-locked the hubs. This removes pressure on the clutch discs/teeth in the hub. They will unlock by themselves if you do not back up, but it just makes sure that the front hubs have released. This is done to avoid the front axle shafts or drive shaft from spinning untill they release.