• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issues with GL?

Dave 52804

I want to buy a M1008 and the GL site in Sparta Wi has some. How is GL to deal with when buying a truck from them? I know that it takes a long time to get an EUC to go through. Anybody have any other issues? If any member lives close to Sparta and would be willing to look these trucks over for me, shoot me a PM. Thanks in advance for the info/help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Expect the absolute worst(in all ways), if you get better than that, you have done better than some!

If you don't beleive me, look in the GL forum(where this thread belongs).

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Dave,
As DH mentioned plan for the worse. Some times it will go okay while other times it seems like what can go wrong will go wrong. And while you started off your question talking about CUCV's it is more about GL and there is a section in the forums for GL related stuff (as DH referrenced). So you might have better luck asking your question over there.

On another note you might want to watch how you mention GL auctions. There are several people on this site that get hot under the collar at the mere mention of a certain kind of vehicle coming up for auction, GL or otherwise. Some guidance is given in the thread below. You might want to read it when you get a chance.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/54334-posting-about-auctions.html

Anyhow, hope all goes well for you in your quest for a CUCV. They're fun trucks and have their own little quirks.

Ruppster

cornrichard

Dealing with corporate GL can be a pain. Waiting for your euc. to be approved can take a while. Usually the EUC wait has nothing to do with GL. After you get through all of that, dealing with Mike at Sparta is a true pleasure. He is helpful and a great guy. Good Luck!

jeep-Jeep

even though they advertise right here you cannot say anything about upcoming sales .
just follow the rules and take a gamble .
sometimes its worth it but if you cannot afford a mistake you should seek out a individual seller

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Dave,

GL can be a rewarding experience (as in saving some money) or a drive you right up the wall PITA.

If you are only going to buy one vehicle I would find a seller that buys regularly from GL and flips vehicles to make a few bucks (like I used to).

They have taken the risk that there may be a hole in the block, hidden damage or the dreaded "GL driveshaft" in the case of M1008's and other small vehicles (they move them around with a forklift).

You can look at, drive and check the vehicle out before you buy. You will pay more but you leave out the risk factor, shipping costs (if you are close to the seller) and putting up with working around GL's pickup schedule.

While I have had very positive experiences with the rank and file GL folks at sales locations and got some good help from some of the low level office people in Arizona I am not impressed with GL's higher up (mis)management people.

Bottom line with GL is "ya pays your money and takes your chances".

Good luck.

DXTAC

Mike is GREAT up in Sparta. The EUC process is like a ROOT CANAL though and painfully slow. The GL process itself is a breeze though. We're still waiting for an EUC to get approved for an M1009 purchase from Sparta on 21May10.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks