• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

it appears that I lost both my horn and electric wipers at the same time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you mean circuit breaker?

pjwest03

For trucks prior to the A3's: The horn and heater (if equipped) tend to have their own breakers on the firewall, drivers side, under the hood. It's entirely possible that someone tapped the horn circuit to power the wipers. Original wipers were generally air powered so electric is an add on. For A3 trucks: I believe there is a common breaker path through the accessory switch.

pjwest03

I would add that the connectors on my M36A2 at the breakers were nearly disintegrated. They fell apart in my hand when I was fixing my horn issues.

nukem

I found two breakers on the firewall directly in front of the driver. I see where there is a splitter that feeds both breakers. I've never dealt with these connectors and don't want to damage something that isn't already broke. I have pulled up pics of the breakers and connectors but they are a little more blurry than my vision��

What part of the boot should I grab to try to remove without breaking?

pjwest03

They are rubber shell Packard connectors. Grandfathers of the GM/Delphi weather pack connectors. If they're in good condition they won't break. If they break, they were in need of replacement. The shells are rubber and they deteriorate with age, heat, and/or sunlight. They develop cracks and get spongy/powdery. The Prestolite wire also deteriorates the same way.

I just get a good grip on each half and pull/twist. They can be bear. With the breakers I use a metal bar with a notch to restrain the outer boot a bit. The male pin is in the larger outside boot. On my M36 they just pulled apart in pieces and the wire was green and corroded inside.

The spilt wire should be the power feed and have 24V on it all the time. It's fed from circuit 10 which feeds the cab power. One breaker is generally the heater and the other will be the horn. I would start with the single side of the splitter and start checking for power at each junction. On my truck I ended up cutting that feed wire back to a point where the insulation was good and added a double pigtail, soldered on and sealed with marine glue lined heat shrink. That eliminated the splitter. I ended up pigtailing the wires out of the breakers as well. You'll also need to trace down where your wiper power is spliced in as that's generally not factory.

Last edited:

nukem

I tried twisting/pulling all the connections and one twists. Hopefully that's my problem child. I solder everything on my old caca. Italian Harleys, Airhead Beamers,etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks