• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It finally arrived, MEP-803a

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Success!!!

Success!!!:clinto:

This morning I removed the cover over the electrical portion of the set and man was it dusty and GRIT-TY!! There is some light corrosion in places but everything was tight. I sprayed all the connections on the terminal strips to remove the surface dust and dirt.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

S8 was about as gritty switching as I've ever seen any rotary type switch. Using about 1/3 a can of electronics cleaner spray I cleaned it getting into any crevice I could and worked the switch back and forth a couple of dozen times until it smoothed out, then repeated the process.
Allowed it to dry a bit and started the generator up and Bammm!!!! AC volt meter working just as it should!

I cannot thank all of you enough for your input and particular thanks to Guyfang for his suggestion of S6 and S8, setting and cleaning.....YOU are the man!

Now to build a load bank, install the suggested fuse/holder and MOV mod( I have a temporary 3 amp blade fuse installed now) then take some compressed air to the compartments and blow them out.

I printed out the schematic this morning and will be studying it intently.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
You are missing two safety covers for K1. Not a show stopper, but I would fab up some plastic to at least keep things from falling down on the K1 and shorting it out. The safety covers had partitions between the load wires, but you really need to feel inventive to create something like that. Normally nothing can fall on the K1, but if you are ever in there working while it is running, it could happen.

You have an old style S8, and the construction is such that dirt and dust easily get into the switch. Would not hurt to use the other 2/3 of you can of cleaner on the S6, and don't forget the S6. Should the switch ever fail, try and find the upgraded switch. Extremely good construction.

You will also notice that someone had been "Fixing" things in the panel. They wrote numbers on the wires. Distrust this method of "repairing" things. ALWAYS use the wire diagrams to repair things. When you just follow someones numbering system, if he made a mistake, you just repeated it.

Missing two screws in the M1, but figure you took them out to troubleshoot the no AC reading on the meter.

All in all, looks not to bad!

Don't thank me! That goes to a bunch of other folks here in the forum. In the army, I just mostly tossed the switches into the trash and put a new one in!

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are missing two safety covers for K1. Not a show stopper, but I would fab up some plastic to at least keep things from falling down on the K1 and shorting it out. The safety covers had partitions between the load wires, but you really need to feel inventive to create something like that. Normally nothing can fall on the K1, but if you are ever in there working while it is running, it could happen.

You have an old style S8, and the construction is such that dirt and dust easily get into the switch. Would not hurt to use the other 2/3 of you can of cleaner on the S6, and don't forget the S6. Should the switch ever fail, try and find the upgraded switch. Extremely good construction.

You will also notice that someone had been "Fixing" things in the panel. They wrote numbers on the wires. Distrust this method of "repairing" things. ALWAYS use the wire diagrams to repair things. When you just follow someones numbering system, if he made a mistake, you just repeated it.

Missing two screws in the M1, but figure you took them out to troubleshoot the no AC reading on the meter.

All in all, looks not to bad!

Don't thank me! That goes to a bunch of other folks here in the forum. In the army, I just mostly tossed the switches into the trash and put a new one in!
No, you deserve MANY thanks for your input and I appreciate it more than you could know.

Kind of noticed that this set had been worked on in different places and yes the wiring numbering jumped out at me also....your advice on following the wiring diagrams is duly noted and will be followed.

Ok on the covers missing, I have vinyl material that I can fabricate a cover with and will look up the shapes in the parts TM and see if I can copy it as best I can.

Ok on S8 being the old style switch. If it fails, I will upgrade. Probably should obtain one for the parts inventory now.

I have the screws for M1, I removed the meter to see if the movement was bound or floating and just didn't put them in the other day.

Thanks Again!!!

Last edited: