• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It lives!

Atwater

bought the m1008 in Feb, tore it apart for paint, 6 months later finally usable, not quite finished but drivable. :grin:
1st sealer coat, took out the typical forklift dent from the drivers side door + various other dents, didn't get them all though. more details + pics later as i finish up loose ends
2nd coming out of my friends shop
3rd-4th @ work the next day (today)
5th how i attached the rear plate (still need to wire in a light)
6th gratuitous cute niece pic

Attachments

Atwater

would have preferred the flat version but that's what napa gave me after i gave them the fs number
ill try to scan and post the mix sheet later
thanks

usafe7ret

While stationed at Bitburg AB, FRG in 76-79, I was the squadron Vehicle NCO for a while. We had both the flat OD (most) and the shiny OD (few) vehicles. My pickup was shiny and the envy of everyone else on base, but I had a good rapport with the motor pool guys and could use the shop and equipment to do all the PM work on the squadron's fleet.

The old flat OD paint kept some people out of trouble as it was available in spray bombs and some punitive sanding work by the offender kept them from having to fork out some bucks.

Atwater

update

well on the way in to work today i experienced the infamous death wobble .:shock: started out thinking it was the stabilizer as i could not feel any play in the wheels. pulled off the stabilizer and it felt OK. ding ding ding we have a winner, kingpins!aua great 6months, sevral thousands later i get a day and a half out of it before it needs repairs. oh well good thing i like do do this stuff:D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that paint, it could be a Seabees truck. Few decals and an hours work and it would be one of the cleanest Seabee CUCVs around!

Atwater

drive shaft was ok , don't know if someone swapped it though
here is a before pic.
cant find the pics of the markings but as i remember the door said "range control"?
hmm seabees, gives me more ideas

Attachments

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well on the way in to work today i experienced the infamous death wobble .:shock: started out thinking it was the stabilizer as i could not feel any play in the wheels. pulled off the stabilizer and it felt OK. ding ding ding we have a winner, kingpins!aua great 6months, sevral thousands later i get a day and a half out of it before it needs repairs. oh well good thing i like do do this stuff:D
Kingpins shouldn't be TOO much hassle. (knock on wood!) Did ones on a '63 Beetle few years back and seems to me the only thing I couldn't do myself was press them into the steering knucks... shop did it for me cheap.

ALSO, from first impressions I'd say you did some pretty nice body work... you must have done this a few times before 'cause it looks really straight!

Good luck

Atwater

thanks for the complements ,
actually this was the first truck i have done myself and if you get close enough you will see lots of small faults. i just focused on the big dents.
he not on here but i have to give credit to Jess Farwell as i commandeered his garage/shop for a few months. still tickled that i finally got the truck :jumpin::drool::driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks