• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It was a road trip to pick up trailers

maplehillfrm

I went this morning to pick up my 6 trailers from ft drum, I left at 4:10 am,, nice brisk morning, no troubles to syracuse except the 30 or so deer I seen close to the road, but none on my side or front so thats good,,

well just north of syracuse it started snowing, it was still dark out and it was a wet heavy slushy snow,, my first one this year,, made it unscathed through it, got to the parking area before ft drum area and changed into my bibs and boots,, I knew I was in for a cold wet one,, it was still snowing on and off,,

found the site no trouble thansk to eric, [I appreciate the info] got me right to the gate,, I was 4th truck in line, had al my paperwork ready, went nice and smooth,, pulled up to kevins door at 7:15.. I was a little early, 8:00 appointment,, kevin seemed a little annoyed, I think he was in the middle of something, [my trucking days were coming back, to me],, he was fine after the initial early arrival,,

was still snowing, wasnt sure if we were going to get it on one trip, but they all fit, I chained em all down, strapped them, rechecked it a few times, and figured we were good to go,,

got out of the site, went to the nice and easy got a coffee, fueled up, checked my bindings, nothing moved,, goo deal,,

proceeded on my way, the next hr until I hit pulaski was lots of snow and slow going, there were cars spun out and in ditches,, I was white knuckled for a little while with my "BIG" load, but got into the flow and everything went smoot from there out, after pulaski, snow was almost shut off, ,,tug hill was coming down like crazy,,

stopped before syracuse and checked the load, everything still like I left it,, I like that,,

the rest of the trip to the dooryard was pretty uneventful. no traffic on teh way home nice easy sailing, got home checked the load, took a few pictures, everything exactly like it was 3 1/2 hrs ago, came in took a nap and did some chores,,

nice trip, but the next time I wont buy 6 at once, hahah

well we used every binder, and most of my chains, almost all my straps,, but she never moved,, we had to put the first trailers tongue and landing gear in teh triangle of teh gooseneck to get it to fit lenghtwise, it bent the bar on teh trailer a bit, but nothing bad,

\ well just wanted to share with you guys my trip to get the long awaited purchase,, sorry so long winded, thansk for all the help guys I appreciate it,pat

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatcha gonna do with all them trailers? Looks like the chassis are later models. Nice going brother. Hmmm, snow!

maplehillfrm

well I didnt expect to win all 6, I was bidding on 2 other sets and got out bid, SO<<< the smart :wink::?: guy I am put in bids on 3 other auctions, ,[all had 2 trailers/frames] well end of the day, I see I got all of them:razz:,,

so the plan is to use them for firewood , I am going to stack my wood on them so I only have to handle it once, pull them in front of the outdoor furnace and be done,, I may end up selling 1-2.. I have 2 105A3 with racks and covers too,

This could become addicting I can see that,,

I do need to pick up a bigger truck I can see that , I "NEED" something to haul these things with, haha.

I was glad I could get them all in one trip.. my wife said if we get a deuce its going to start looking like a depot,, I said so??

then of course my little one knowing I cant drive standard anymore,, asks whos going to drive it, I said his brother who is 16, him when he gets old enough, and his mother who years ago was in the army as well, ,,

we'll see how that goes haha

I think the trailers are late model, They all have good tires and everything looks good on them too, pat

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pat, I'm glad to see all went well for you. I was thinking about you up there as it was sleeting and snowing and blowing here yesterday. That is one heck of a load of trailers. (Lane , no comment yet?) :razz:

54reo

Nice looking load, glad it went well for you!

Good to see you had your load chained down well, I've seen some scary stuff out there (saw a '70 Camaro tied down with one strap going down I-70 at 75 mph once, always wondered if they made it or not).

How did you talk GL into stacking them for you?

maplehillfrm

thansk eric, that was a nice way to get , broke in for driving in the winter, first storm this year for me hahah,,, more to come I am sure, I waved hi as I passed your town,,I really am thankful for the directions into that gate it went smoothly,, now I just have to drive my backhoe home today to unload the trailers,, its about 6 miles away,, I should have hauled it home FIRST, oh well all in fun,, pat

maplehillfrm

OH it was a nice load, I pretty much pride myself in containing loads, I can truthfully say after almost a million miles driving tractor trailer cross country,I have never lost a load,,

I may put one or two more chains than most, but they stay where they are supposed to be,, and it only takes another minute or two,

The people like the guy with teh camaro, WHEN something happens will be wondering how that could happen to him, hopefully it doesnt involve a family or person that has nothing to do with it, but that is the way it normally happens,,

stacking, stacking, I didnt say nothing about who did the stacking,, hahaha shhhhhhh.......................

I know what you mean about scary loads, I have seen too many, as all of us have, I dont know what some are thinking,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks