• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Items in the deuce...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
nato cans? is there a site or somewhere the sells jerry cans and mounts? i want to put extra mounts on my deuce

There was a thread about 8 months ago or more about how our fearless leadership outlawed them due to the carb laws. You can try ebay or see if anyone is willing to part with them at rallies or swap meets. May want to even try the classifieds on here.

I like them but it's also a choice of carrying 2 x 55 gal drums and a transfer pump or 22 x 5 gal cans or a mix of both. For me, I'm working toward dropping my spare tire carrier, mounting a second deuce tank (double the range) and somehow plumb the tank so I can also use it to feed the diesel 3k generator also. We did something similar to this with a diesel truck converted to run on propane when I was out in Colorado on a hunting trip. Except in that case it was to run a heater and stove. Plumbed the propane from the truck to the 2 tents we had. Worked great.

I know there are diesel tent heaters out there. That would cut down on your fuel requirements. I even looked at the few diesel ATV;s on the market but it seems like I put the money toward green stuff instead of the ATV.

As for unditching stuff, I alwasy wanted to get 4 sheets of PSP (Pierced Steel Planking) aka Marston Mat, or something similar. Mount them on the side of the bed somehow. I have several 40K lbs tow straps but also the 10 foot wire rope sections. That with extra clevis' would work the trick on just about anything. Don't forget the utility of a unditching beam. There is also a neat ladder device I saw in a some manual that had 2x4 or 4x4 slates connected by rope through drilled holes at each end. It looks like a ladder when laid out.

You'll be carrying a lot of fluids. 1 gal of water per person per day is absolute minimum. You will need to add to that vehicle water in case your radiator springs a leak although you can use non-potable sources for that if need be. For a family of four I would not leave the house without 35 gal just to start with.

Food for short term MRE's or heater meals although I know folks will differ with me on that. On the go they work. MRE has between 1500 to 2200 calories which if necessary is good enough for a day for short term. By day three you're hungry as can be but still living. If possible plan for one week with 2 MRE's per day and the third meal I always look toward rahmen or cup of soup or something with a long shelf life. After that I'd plan for 1 per day for out to 30 days. That's a lot of MRE's (12-15 cases) and a lot of money. You can read some of these survival websites for more food ideas.

Don't forget toilet paper, a portable latine (even if it is a bucket with bags), soap (lot's of soap), chlorox for cleaning and water purification, pots and pans, I prefer the German mess kits, a butt load of batteries for everything, good am/fm, portable radio, railroad fuses, waterproofing 'stuff', insect repellent and killer (especially ant killer), rat/mouse traps, cots, padlocks on all your gear, digging tools, sledge, decent tent, ...........

rideni

carnac, its fusees not fuses. And they have a lot of uses, defrosting a frozen lock, weed control, putting a train in restricted speed for 10 minutes, flagging crossings, lighting heat on fire(diesel cellulose or and alchohol mix to heat rail to fix break aparts) setting off thermite welds both rail welds, and bonding welds, heck even ground rod welds, and tons more that I won't put in writing

fasttruck

think about at least two bottle jacks if you have to change a front tire. spare 900:20 tubes if you expect a lot of flats. Extra belts & tool to change them.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My understanding is natural disaster in his neck of the woods with anywhere from 3-30 days out of the house and not using lodging. Because the house may not be there anymore and it'll take 30 days to make other arrangements.

greenjeepster

I am just thinking it takes some people a lot of stuff to survive. If you loaded your deuce down so it would be ready 24/7 for anything; I think #1 you would have a lot of stuff out and easily assessable to theft and #2 you will have a very heavily loaded down deuce.

Water and fuel do not keep forever, so what is the plan if you are loading up for a natural disaster to keep it fresh and ready to use? Water would have to be dumped and replaced every few days and fuel would also have to be used and replenished every few months. So that is a lot of work and driving. Also how do you store strippers for an indefinite period of time:wink:

On the fuel front and extra 50 gal saddle tank that is connected into your current tank would give you 100 gal and about 800 mile range. Those you can just top off as you use them and that will keep the fuel fresh.

Water is the most abundant chemical on the planet. Grab what you can as you leave and within your 800 miles hopefully you can find some that is potable. They also make this great little filter system that uses reverse osmosis to clean water, on the expensive side but better than carrying 1000 gallons of stagnant water.

jatonka

2 items I carry are 12 Gauge, short barrel,long tube, 200 rds OO Buck and a Bible. The rest is up to you, and is available to those who are willing to trade labor for goods. JT out

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pick up and read the advice in Cody Lundin's books; "98.6 degrees - the art of keeping your ass alive" and "When all **** breaks loose". He gets the basic three day kit down to what can be slung over the shoulder, having a deuce full of stuff is just icing on the cake!

But a deuce and the tools and supplies to keep it moving beats hoofing it, hands down, every day!

Stan Leschert

My F-250 tool truck carries all of that. The deuce carries std vehicle kit, FA Kit, pus some edible rations and water (In case we run out of Beer!) a small camping stove is handy but not essential and basic rain gear will keep you less grumpy! Good luck! ...... I forgot a radio to get News and stave off boredom!