• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

items needed for Vietnam display

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to MTA show in April for the first time, I was invited to do part of the Vietnam living history display there. I would like a few items for the display that I do not have/cannot find/cannot afford. Any help is appreciated:

Want to BUY for my own collection:

original M60 sling (not the black padded vinyl one)
original pre-1975 Tiger beer bottles
pictures or maps from Vietnam AO
belts of dummy ammo for dummy M60
M60 parts - need top cover internals, buttstock, op rod, rear sight assy
Hot Rod or other car magazines from the 1960s

Want to BORROW, or you can bring yourself

any demil or dummy weapons of the period, mortar, MG, grenade launcher, etc.
any vehicles that are period correct with correct paint/markings, to park near the hooch
large camo net and support set, correct green only color as was used then
any other things you might think are of interest to make this an awesome step into history!

Attachments

B3.3T

A local flea market is a great place for old magazines and US beer cans. I recently picked up a bunch of Life magazines, 1960's, for .25 a piece. I can send you some belted dummy 7.62. M60 parts are crazy money, though. I just sold a complete top cover for $600.00. That chair has got to go, though.

WarrenD

If you want, I'll print your wants out and bring them to the flea market/swap meet next weekend in MA.

vtdeucedriver

All the stuff your looking to Buy...............EBAY!!! You can have it all there with not too much cost. Thats where I get all my stuff.
Wish I could make it with all my gear.

vtdeucedriver

Great pics but let me say. The Lava Lamp and tie die poster would NEVER be found at a COMMAND POST.........THE CO WOULD NEVER STAND FOR IT!!!! Need to find some nice pro army posters or some learning or gun cleaning posters.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics but let me say. The Lava Lamp and tie die poster would NEVER be found at a COMMAND POST.........THE CO WOULD NEVER STAND FOR IT!!!! Need to find some nice pro army posters or some learning or gun cleaning posters.
Who said it was a command post? It's a radio shack out in the country, where brass never go. ;) I had a couple maps on sectors in South vietnam, I need to get more and hang them up....

vtdeucedriver

Who said it was a command post? It's a radio shack out in the country, where brass never go. ;) I had a couple maps on sectors in South vietnam, I need to get more and hang them up....
:cry::cry:bought a few a number of yrs ago. Most of my maps cover the Highlands.

Pain in the butt to move all those mortar crates isnt it?? I haul 14 of them when I do the "BIG" display. I have not done one of those in a while, I dont have any more deuces to load them in.:cry:

WarrenD

WarrenD where is the flea market at ?? Tim
The Merrimack Valley MV club's annual, this year at the Holiday Inn Boxborough, MA. Sunday, 3/14/10 only, 9-2. Exit 28 off I-495 (Rt111E) just north of the I-290 feed.
I've never been, so can't say what will be there. I'm going to COMVEC tonight and plan to ask around. It's close enough and the weekend weather is supposed to suck, so I'm almost sure I'll go.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
MD308 set up a great display lasy year at Gilbert. Everyone at the show was impressed as to the detail and amout of work Mike put into this. I was. The lava lamp made it. I think the only thing it may have been missing were alligator roach clips...Those were the days...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the kind words, Dudley. Doing Vietnam living history is the least I can do to honor those that served in-country, I had some actual vets come up and were brought to tears. A few were tears of amazement and remembrance, a couple were distant and harkening back to a more violent and desperate time in their youth.

B3.3T - I have seen a picture or two of that metal folding chair being used "over there". Problem with the chair???

Will be sending emails to other guys who said they have stuff to sell or donate. Much appreciated.

Attachments

David_4x4

Check out Moore Militaria as he deals in Vietnam uniforms and equipment for great prices.

As for an original M60 sling, just use a standard M1 cloth sling. It's what you see used more than anything else; if a sling is even being used.

As for the chair, find some old 1960 plastic nasty folding lawn chair. You see tons of those.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks