• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Its cold outside lets talk Heaters, H81, H82, H83, etc.

escobar420

the two diagrams are of the k8 and commercially available White-Rodgers 668-415 kwik sensor.

they seem to be very similar no??

what do you think

h82.jpgUntitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac-1

Is that the right one for these units, I would have suspected they have continuous ignition and the -430 is an intermittent ignition version of the 668 series controller. I have not yet had reason to confirm that our heater control circuit is continuous ignition other than the fact that most fuel oil burners seem to be.

Ike

p.s. also the -430 has a 45 second safety timeout where the original -670 should be a 15 second safety timeout. Various 668 series controllers offered 15, 30 or 45 second safety timeouts.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me, and I say again, if it were me.... i would set it up outside the shop, have a very large fire extinguisher at the ready and I would give it a go. Worst case scenario you have a flameout when the heat exchanger explodes. I would give it a try, heck I might get you to send me one so I can try it.

Take the cover off and send us a picture of the guts

Isaac-1

If you have a working heater out and set up it should to fairly easy to confirm if it uses intermittent or continuous ignition, I would check mine, but it is up on a warehouse rack right now, warm winter in my part of the country only 2 or 3 nights just below freezing so far this winter. Also check the operating voltage and amp draw through the relay. Even with that I would feel better with a 15 second safety cutout.

Cvander

where can i find a service manual for an h81 model. I can get it to run for 4 to 5 minutes, then it would just shut off. Now i cant even get the fuel pressure to raise even a little bit. Anyone have any advise.

escobar420

Revisiting this thread now that's it's cold again - I'm attempting to finally fix this h82 can someone tell me the difference between the following parts 668z-671 vs 668z-670?

rustystud

You are not getting a great buy on low hour heaters! Many are scavenged or worn out! I bought 5 and only one was complete from Bragg last year. They all had either < 5 hours on them. 2 were 1 hours units! The disabling of the hour meter is one of the first things done by the Army! GL wants a premium for anything with low hours. Buyer beware.
I've seen them use this trick a time or two ! Though sometimes the hour meter is correct ! You just have to go and inspect the item every time.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the TM, Rectifier and hour meter are not required for Army use and should be left disconnected. The Army model is the H83 and the Air Force is the H82. I personally would rather have the H82! At least you know the meter was connected.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its past time to start talking about heaters, if you attempt to start your heater, it fires and runs for 20-45 seconds and shuts down with the redlight of death, check the adjustment of the flame sensor. Its not a very skookum setup, looks like heat shrink with a zip tie holding the sensor so it views down a copper pipe into the heat exchanger. If the heater has been in transit or bounced around then the heat shrink slides off the copper tube and lets the flame sensor loose sight of the flame.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the two diagrams are above are of the k8 and commercially available White-Rodgers 668-415 kwik sensor.

they seem to be very similar no??

what do you think
I dont see where I replied about these K8 relays, my little research book notes are as follows

Type 668..... 956 type flame detector used
type 668().... 60 hz only
type 668(h).... 50/60 hz

type 668-(401-499)....safety shutoff time 15 seconds
(501-599).... 30 seconds
(601-699).... 45 seconds

I have not found any White Rodgers that has the red/yellow alarm wire, if someone has found one that is not pn 668z-670 point it out to me. So my guess is that is what the 'Z' designator is for.. red/yellow alarm wire.

The data sticker on the K8 does not jive with the rest of any of the White Rodges controllers. The data sticker shows 45 sec, but the pn is a -670, so I dont know what to believe, unless its a special that does not follow general pn's.

Last edited:

escobar420

I dont see where I replied about these K8 relays, my little research book notes are as follows

Type 668..... 956 type flame detector used
type 668().... 60 hz only
type 668(h).... 50/60 hz

type 668-(401-499)....safety shutoff time 15 seconds
(501-599).... 30 seconds
(601-699).... 45 seconds

I have not found any White Rodgers that has the red/yellow alarm wire, if someone has found one that is not pn 668z-670 point it out to me. So my guess is that is what the 'Z' designator is for.. red/yellow alarm wire.

The data sticker on the K8 does not jive with the rest of any of the White Rodges controllers. The data sticker shows 45 sec, but the pn is a -670, so I dont know what to believe, unless its a special that does not follow general pn's.
Soooooooo, i haven't messed with this heater since last year. But to give an update i found this a white Rodger thermo swich on ebay part number is 668z-671 - its got all the same color wires white black red and orange. All the same labeled terminals.

I had purchased it last year and when install it instantly blows the fuse FYI i carefully installed it nice and slow making sure everything went back they way it was originally installed.

I'm amazed that it doesn't work because when I inspected the insides the original and new Ebay replacement - they appear to be identical.

So here I am: back to the drawing board once again.

See the link for relay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Rodgers-Thermostatic-Switch-668Z-671-/252914538133

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my uneducated guess, ‘Z’ = red yellow alarm wire.

I ordered the same relay you did, but have not installed. What fuse does it blow? Do you mean the internal thermal relay? Also have you checked the alignment of the flame sensor. One of mine, the rubber boot is funky, so i had to engineer zip ties to hold it in alignment

escobar420

I meant to say it trips the breaker thats in my garage on the panel .....instantly once you switch it to heat. but not fan If I remember correctly

escobar420

No the original issue was the K8 reset button no longer works and fuel pressure wont come up once switched to heat.

- this started happening right after my father told me he did a hot shut down with out running the fan.

....even though i stressed to him that is a big NO NO.

I'm really determined to get this thing going because it was running running beautifully the first 2 years. we even cut a whole in the block wall of the garage to slip it into.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the guts and check the ignition gap, and clean out the injector. Also purge your fuel line to the injector while you have the injector loose. And clean the filter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks