• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's getting there

Wild Horse Hans

Been working on the deuce bit by bit and I think she is starting to get to where I want it.
So far have replaced drivers fender, replaced hard top with canvas soft top, replaced troop seats, added canvas cargo cover and some minor cosmetic work.
Left to do. Replace passanger door, tailgate, box seat for spring seat, taillight mounts. I have all the parts thanks to Scooter for the lead on 2 trucks at a local junkyard and thanks to Cucvfan for the cargo cover!!
I hope to start blasting and sanding soon and get her painted in 24087 and get NDTs back under her.
First photo is the day I got her and the rest are today after putting the tops on.

Attachments

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, Hans! I can't wait to see it after paint! You might want to tighten the ropes up a bit to cinch those corners in before you go driving down the road too fast.;-)

Wild Horse Hans

I was wondering about that. It did not look all that right to me, but at least front is toward front!
I thought I really pulled the front and rear down good, but I'll go out and see if I can pull some more out of it. However since when is deuce and fast used in the same sentence?:-D
Hans

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll probably have to "help" it by bunching the canvas manually. I'll see if I can find a pic of one cinched up tight.

Wild Horse Hans

I went out and got a lot more slack out of it. Looks a lot better now.
Hint to all WEAR GLOVES!!!! That nylon rope ripped my hand apart:-D
It only took me about an hour to put the whole thing together and get it on the truck working alone.
It can't be all that old as the paper boxes inside said recyclable corrugated paper, so I'm guessing no older than maybe the 80s just based on that. I have no idea how to determine the age, but it is in 100% perfect condition.
Now I need bows and canvas for the M105, but no hurry on that.

Wild Horse Hans

I went out this morning and loaded a ton of hay on the deuce. On the way to the hay seller, I got waved at by 2 policemen, 1 firetruck, and a large group of Harleys that I went by. These trucks do draw attention. I had a crowd of people at the sellers place looking her over. I sure wish the old girl was looking a bit better. She needs rust removal and a paint job bad.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks good, I love having a cover on mine.

If you do not have some kind of covered storage, I would definitely invest in it. The sun and the rain really puts a hurt on both the canvas and vinyl cargo covers and that issue is only magnified by how big and heavy they are................. they have a tendency to stretch as they age......

I have a brand new GMA vinyl cover for mine and I have been keeping it in the garage and leaving the old worn out canvas cover on mine until I can get my shop built.

scooter01922

Looking good man, a little paint and she will be super. Looks no worse than mine. Hopefully i'll be getting on to prep and paint shortly as well.

Wild Horse Hans

Thanks for the kind words gents. I am really liking this truck. The best part is it has a dump bed on it so it really can earn it's keep around the house. I split a ton of hay with the gal next door and it was great to be able to just push a button, raise the bed and let half of the hay fall off into her yard.
That left fender was shot. We pretty much just unhooked the wires fot the light and pulled it off the truck. The tailgate is shot as well, but I have a good one to put on as well as both doors and the spring seat. The front of the bed has some rust holes in it that need to be fixed, but the bed floor is solid.
It is a project for sure, but I'm having fun working on it and it is drivable as is so I get the best of both worlds. I can drive it around and fix it up at the same time.
I have to figure out what unit I want to paint on the bumpers. I am looking for markings for my Cousin's AVN unit. He was killed in Vietnam when his Huey was shot down. He was only in country for 4 months. I'm pretty sure that an AVN unit would have a few M35s in them.
Hans

2027Deuce

Our trucks must be brothers, I painted my 68 M35A2 W/W Whistler last year and hit the parade circuit. If you plan on keeping your truck I would talk to John Tennis about his oil adapters for the deuce, he is Jatonka on here. Glad to see your putting that truck to good use hauling hay.

Attachments