• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's soooooo Tan

lonegunman

I bought an M35A3 this year and it is sooooooo tan. Someone took the time to CARC tan the thing out in a parking lot for it's trip to the war. It is generally tan and they painted over every stencil or mark on the truck.

They swapped on new steer tires and a new passenger seat and generally got the truck ready for it's deployment. I'm guessing it never went, not sure why. It has a slight oil leak from a one of the cam covers, behind the air compressor and that's a bear to fix, maybe that was the reason.

Well, I repaired some rust and removed some black stencil unit markings with a camo color called "Marsh Grass" that is close to faded CARC tan only smooth.

I'd like to cover the small rust spots on the hood and body and am thinking some sort of three color desert paint scheme would make the truck a little more pleasing to the eye.

Any ideas or suggestions? The original three color carc is under this crummy paint job and not available. The tan is coming off in spots but it otherwise to solid to simply remove and I am not ready for a full repaint.

ABN173

LG,

Having joined the military back in 1988 All three of my deployments were in the sandbox, so I am partial to tan trucks. Having said that I miss the old BDU uniform and I can't help but like Green camo too, so whatever you decide is fine.

I like the idea of a three color desert camo like the DCU or old "chocolate chip" desert pattern that would look awsome too!

BTW are coming to the PNW rally this Summer? I would love to see your A3!

Keep us posted,
Dale

lonegunman

I'll post a pic this evening since a new one with no markings would be nicer.

I like tan but the old three color deserts were my favorite uniform and I like the colors. I keep thinking a three color desert deuce would look cool. I have a buddy is keeps voting for an put an Afrika Corp palm tree stencil on the doors in flat white. If you delete the swastika and replace it with a star, it would look entertaining.

I have to work to cover vacations around rally time, so no PNW rally this summer. I wish they would have that rally close to the middle of the state. 48mph makes a cross state trip an all day affair.

If I cannot get a hitch to tow my trailer home from Ft. Lewis you might see me there when the EUC is approved. I was going to use the 3/4 ton truck to haul it because it is faster on the highway and 60% cheaper on fuel.

davidkroberts

here's one i free handed because the basic tan paint was too ordinary. the black is ultra flat walmart camo rattle can. the green is duck boat paint i got out of the hardware store same as the tan. i know what you mean with it being so plain as a single color. you might want to get a Rator bedliner kit and roll-on a black bedliner and interior. It would look great with a tan base coat and help protect the metal. Doesnt help at all with sound deadening though:(.... oh well looks good and doesnt get that dull dirty look that CARC does.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you will be painting the truck and the hood needs work, do yourself a favor and find a fiberglass hood to replace the older hood with the patches and rivets.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think these trucks look good in MERDC, however, i'd leave it the way you got it. I'm kinda funny that way, I just like to try to preserve the history of the truck. If it came from Uncle Sugar in CARC tan, just re do it in the same. If it is a crappy paintjob, just give it a little TLC and clean it up...get rid of overspray, clean the lights, mask and repaint, re stencil it in the original markings.
I know someone who will do your 1/4, 1/2 1nd 1 inch stencils...they can do 2 inch too, but they are hand cut ;-)

wsucougarx

LG,

Having joined the military back in 1988 All three of my deployments were in the sandbox, so I am partial to tan trucks. Having said that I miss the old BDU uniform and I can't help but like Green camo too, so whatever you decide is fine.

I like the idea of a three color desert camo like the DCU or old "chocolate chip" desert pattern that would look awsome too!

BTW are coming to the PNW rally this Summer? I would love to see your A3!

Keep us posted,
Dale
Hey Dale, you can always cross over to the Navy. We still use those uniforms:)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the MERDC scheme, too. Were M35A3s ever painted in the 4 color MERDC camo scheme? I have never seen one painted this way. I suppose some unit could have opted to paint their truck in this scheme, but they were rebuilt in the early to mid-90s after the the 3 color camo pattern had already come into use. Regardless, what the military did and what the end user can do really have nothing to do with each other. Paint it in whatever colors you like best.