• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's the small things...

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought my 5 ton, Doug (Trailboss) was really awesome about going over the "small" things that could give me trouble during my day to day loving of the truck. One of the things he mentioned while we had the hood up and was going over different items was the emergency shutoff solenoid. He explained the operation to me and various ways to troubleshoot it....

Fast forward to yesterday when I was working on my battery interrupt/connector issues. I get done replacing the connectors, install the interrupt and go to start the truck to build air in prep to leave.... the engine spins like no one's business, but will not start for **anything**.

I start diagnosing. Fuel- half a tank. Batteries- fully charged. Of course you need a third element to run... fire....

So I start thinking... "What would keep fire from happening?".... then I remember the solenoid. I put my girlfriend (who has been taught to start the truck) in the driver seat, pop the hood and check... sure enough the nut holding tension on the lever for the solenoid has come loose. I push the solenoid in and tell her to hit it... she fires right off...

I guess the moral of the story is- "Listen". I was so eager and ready to start my experience with the teuck that I was impatient. I am **so** glad Doug took the time to go through the truck with me and im glad it's been beaten into my head to listen...

As soon as it warms up (28° right now) I'm going to adjust the cable and make it right...

Safe adventures!

Steelreaper80

Fyi those solenoids SUCK! You can completely remove it and just use the emergency shut off to shut down the truck. They are over $100 plus shipping and prone to failure. I removed mine and it has been off for over 6 months. No issues. I actually like it better this way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks