• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's TURBO TIME!!!

Disciple

So, I have a really good friend that also happens to be slightly loaded and very generous. Everyone should have a friend like this, I highly recommend it. Anyway, I have a birthday coming up and he offered to put a turbo on my truck for me as a gift! I couldn't be happier! Talk about an awesome gift!

I've done a bit of searching on this topic and have some questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

First, is it possible to do this project for around $800 total, assuming I can find a used turbo and parts/plumbing off a 6.5 for around $500 somewhere? On that note, I'm looking for links if anyone knows a good place to start looking for this.

I've read a couple of places about having to shim up the turbo or the intake manifold to clear the injectors... Does anyone have pics or a detailed explanation of how to do this? I've heard of guys using two 6.2 gaskets. Is this correct?

What's this about having to add a support bracket inside the motor? Have no idea what this is about. Something about the webs cracking if there's too much boost? Is this necessary? I'm looking for maximum return on minimal investment here, without getting too crazy.

On that note, what else do I need to consider before jumping into this? Turn up the IP? Don't turn up the IP? Is a Pyro necessary?

Exhaust: I've heard this can be a pretty big PITA. Right now I just have wide open exhaust on both sides, cut the mufflers off. So, am I going to end up also having to redo my entire exhaust with this? Doesn't the turbo only feed off of the passenger side exhaust? Does this cause differences in exhaust pressure, etc. from side to side? It looks like this is going to be pretty much a total custom job. I will be having to hire a mechanic buddy of mine for most of this at $50 an hour, but he's a diesel mechanic and excellent at welding/fabricating.

Injectors: Is it necessary to swap out all of the injectors when I do this? I'm considering replacing them all anyway, just need to know if I have to use 6.5 injectors or if I'll be ok with just replacing with 6.2 injectors... If I do go to 6.5 injectors, what else needs to be considered, or is it a straight-up screw in replacement?

I'm not looking for a drag truck here. I want something reliable that will last. If I can get another 50 hp out of this thing I'll be pretty happy.

I'd really like to be able to show up at my mechanic's with all of the parts I will need for this. Don't want the truck sitting over there for two weeks waiting for some stupid little part.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!

det rebel

any diesel needs a pyro in my preference and yes with the turbo you can turn your fuel up and probably should having the turbo now with the exhaust the driver side runs a cross over pipe to the passenger side and into the bottom exhaust manifold on the passenger side for referenced look at banks turbo for the tubing you will need pic is correct on banks website also download the early body stile owners manual from them and it will show you just about everything on how to install and how to set your fuel and alot of other good things to know injectors now you can run the 6.2 but all you will find is stock or reman if you go with 6.5 you can find marine injectors (different spray pattern ) with higher horse like +40 or +60 sometimes ( +60 are hard to find in this town) banks turbo systems says you get +60 hp +115 torque on a civilian truck (emosions regulated by egr valve) consider this just my few cents thrown in here add a boost gauge also and dont put more then about +6 to +8 lbs cause the rear main cant take it (bad experience before) and on the price if you can find one for under 800 it will be a steal cause for a new kit is around 2200 from banks any more questions just ask i will try and help with anything you need

Last edited:

southdave

I used the short van type injectors for 6.2/6.5 when I did mine. There are couple really good threads on this.. If I could offer bit advise remove the pass. fender and inner fender.. this would have made life easier . Also pay attendtion to what your doing with oil feed to the turbo. size the line correct. I spun the cam bearing in my motor in mine because I used to big of line to feed the turbo and robbed oil from the top end. My fixed was to swap out motor, install a high volume pump with exatra 1/2 quart of oil and install a restrictor on the feed.

Last edited:

wayne pick

Unless you have a pipe bender right next to the truck your custom install will be very time consuming. Search the web for a used Banks sidewinder, depending on how complete it is your best bet is to get the piping from Banks. I have yet to see a complete used system with all the pipework intact. A custom sys sounds great, but in the long run it can be costly money wise and in agrivation trying to fabricate what you need. You will also have to plumb up oil feed and return lines if you do a custom setup. Good luck, WP

Disciple

but he is like the rest of us dont want to spend 2200 on a banks system
That's right. It would be super sweet to get a Banks, but just not a reality right now. I was hoping to grab as much as I could off a 6.5 and make it work. Anyone do this? Is it more trouble than it's worth?

cucv1833

Good luck with your Turbo. My first CUCV had a turbo on it my M1009 does not. I miss the extra power.

My buddy went to the junk yard and picked up 2- complete GM-4 6.5L turbos intake and all parts for next to nothing. He installed it on the M1008 that I bought from him later on.

He removed the front batt. tray then had to cut the passenger side fender a little to get the pipe through. For a cross over a 2inch exhaust flex pipe was used to connect the two manifolds which was then ran from a 3inch straight pipe to a 5 inch smoke stack.

The most expensive part he bought was a custom built braided stainless oil suppy line.

The I.P. was turned up 1/4 turn and it was ready to roll.

I know its sounds a little bubbafied but it worked.

Good luck:beer:

Disciple

Or you could buy this and transplant it.
I can't really tell which motor that is (I'm on my iPhone right now, small screen. Is it a 6.5?). But actually I've been thinking down those same lines. If it is possible to get decent results without a ton of extra cost and headaches, I'd like to try the 6.5 take-off turbo route, but if it's going to turn into a major project and cost over $2,000 I feel that I'd be better off in the long run just saving up and doing a complete motor swap.

I was thinking a Cummins 6bt would be just dandy, but I know that's a whole lot of work. If there's an economical way to drop a decent complete 6.5 turbo motor in, I'm all ears.

Do you own the one in the pic, or just pull it off GL?

chevyCUCV

Ask for a holset turbo! HX40, If your going to do it, might as well do it right

Im planning on headstuds, hg, injectors, injector pump, balancer and a ton of seals before i turbo my truck

Disciple

I did the 6.5 Turbo swap for 600 bucks including auto meter gages IP and short injectors.
See, THAT's What I'm talking about. I'd love to be able to do something similar. Do you have more detail on this project? Do you have a thread on this or pics or anything?

Dave87

Good morning all. I do have some photos but nothing that would really help I think. I kinda new at documenting projects. I'm working on it. As for details, I just kept in eye on Craigslist. Found a Guy selling the parts I needed and I found myself buy the whole engine cus the Guy didn't know how to pull the IP. Took everything off the motor I thought I needed. Sent the remains to the scrap yard (it was blown).
I keep looking on Craigslist for more 6.5 parts and find stuff all the time. I need to stop buying them, if I had a truck for every turbo I have I could drive a different truck Monday through Friday. Unfortunately trucks cost more then Turbo kits Haha.