• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's TURBO TIME!!!

Dave87

Yes you could do that. I just put the two in the front battery tray and it worked out nice so.... I try for a stock as possible, even though it has a Turbo and lift...... ok stock ish haha.

sandcobra164

I like the link to Devilman's build. I'm getting ready to do the same thing to a truck at work. We'll be putting a 6.5 GEP with Turbo from a HMMWV into the truck. This will be my learning truck, then the NOS USMC CUCV will undergo the knife for the first time and receive a 6.5 GEP with Turbo that is freshly gone through. I can't wait. Next will be the 700R4. That will make the truck more suitable for daily use. Eventually, the lift, Dually hubs for the front, spacer's and longer studs for the rear, crossover steering and the 37's on 12 bolt H1 Wheels.

ODdave

that's what i thought sounds like a pain to do and 6.5 is computer controlled so have fun figuring that out
Not all 6.5's are DS4 (computer controled). The early civi 92-93 units where db2 pumped turbo units. I had one in my 1028 and it worked great, especialy with a 5 speed.

OP, If you can, find a complete 92-93 6.5 and put the manifolds (intake and exhaust) turbo & injection system on your 6.2. The 6.5 turbo db2 displaces more fuel than the 6.2 unit. The injectors also pop @ 145-150 bar as oposed to the 6.2 N/A wich are 120 bar.

Disciple

UPDATE: bought a rebuilt Banks Sidewinder (almost) complete kit off epay, says all I will need are a couple of small misc. parts and a new pyro and gauge. Just waiting for it to show up and will update my progress during the install.

southdave

Not all 6.5's are DS4 (computer controled). The early civi 92-93 units where db2 pumped turbo units. I had one in my 1028 and it worked great, especialy with a 5 speed.

OP, If you can, find a complete 92-93 6.5 and put the manifolds (intake and exhaust) turbo & injection system on your 6.2. The 6.5 turbo db2 displaces more fuel than the 6.2 unit. The injectors also pop @ 145-150 bar as oposed to the 6.2 N/A wich are 120 bar.
Dave
I do have a couple of 6.5 DB2. I was led to belive that the turbo was mated to the DB4. is that correct?

Disciple

Step 1: I received the kit today! Yeah! Feel kinda' like a little kid here. A couple of questions though. The guy we bought it from said I still need to get the following parts:

91419 x2 Stainless collet lock nut
41501 x1 Filter
64001 x1 Pyrometer kit (you will only need the probe from this kit, not the gauge or adapter)

I found the air filter at Summit Racing, the kit included the pyro gauge, I just don't know what this Stainless Collet Lock Nut is, or what it's for, or where to get it... Any help?

Does anyone know where I could find the probe for the pyro without buying the whole kit?

I also want to add a boost gauge. Any recommendations?

Once I get into the install part of this project I will be continuing that on my build thread and probably not update here any more.

Attachments

axeman

those are used similar to a lock nut or nylock nut. They go on the studs that stick out of your turbo manifold. stainless for corrosion resistance and self locking too. I got incomplete kit as well,ordered from banks. iwas missing alot more than you though. any diesel shop should have them as well as the studs if you dont have those. i have not put mine together yet. i have done some gasket matching.

epartsman

Everyone is forgetting one thing. Bolting on a Turbo is an aweesome thing but what no one has mentioned is a DSG stud girdle and a fluid damper as insurance. I would hate to spend $800 to $1200 on all of that just to blow it up. Plenty of guys run them saying they haven't had any problems but time will tell especially if you like to spool it up alot or do alot of Off roading. Your call on it all. Just my 2 cents. J.

Last edited:

kapnklug

I'll second that, Epartsman. I'd also add to the list of do-it-now-or-regret-it-later:
6.5 Turbo O-ring head gaskets to replace those 25yr old originals
ARP head studs
I'm installing my turbo now, and you can bet these (as well as a DSG stud girdle and new harmonic balancer) have already been installed.

chevyCUCV

How much did the kit cost?
I like the banks kits much more than the 6.5 setup but prices are all over the place

Cant wait to see it all together

Disciple

Update: Just ordered the air filter and working on getting a pyro. Looks like I will be doing a girdle kit on this as well but those fluid dampers are SPENDY!! $400 plus for one! I would like the added insurance of having that, but I'm thinking I'm going to replace mine with a new stock one instead. That's just out of my budget right now, especially considering all of the other things I still need for this project. Like exhaust!

The State-run off road parks up here won't let you in unless you have functioning mufflers and your vehicle is less than 110 dB at full throttle. LAME LAME LAME!

My question is which size muffler/exhaust system should I get. I was thinking of just going single exhaust. I want to keep it high flow, but it actually needs to be quiet too. Also, I'm looking for the cheapest options here. I plan on beating this thing up a bit off road and don't need some shiny custom exhaust.

Disciple

Well I know a turbo tends to quiet down a diesel a bit, but I am well over 110 dBC peak (slow response) now with no turbo, straight-piped, no mufflers, when measured at the pipe. Not sure how much this turbo quiets down this motor yet, but my point was also that either way, they won't let you in the park without functioning mufflers. So again, do I just stick with the output size of the exhaust pipe off the turbo, or go bigger?

kapnklug

Disciple,
I used a kit from SSDIESEL for a Yukon/Tahoe, 3" downpipe to 4" exhaust with all the hardware. It wasn't a direct fit, but adding one 3" 45deg elbow made it pretty much bolt-on. See my thread "m1009 lift/turbo buildup" for pics of the installation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks