• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I've got the bug

RitualAsh

New to Steel Soldiers, and have had a long interest in the deuce...specifically the A2. I've spent the past few days searching through the different threads on various upgrades, and am seeking advice and hoping to consolidate answers to my questions.

I am looking at getting a deuce A2 to make into a project. The idea is to make a balanced tow/haul rig that is decent for fun off-roading (I'm not looking for a hardcore offroader, that's what my ATV is for). Also note that, like many of you, I love the deuce...period. Here's what I'm considering that I need advice for:

1. Brakes - I'd be looking at a full upgrade in the braking system, looking for increase in performance/safety. Definitely would convert to a dual circuit, not sure if there is a more modern system available for these trucks. Should I stay with drum brakes or do a conversion to disc brakes? I know the pros and cons of these in cars, but this is of course a different beast. I want to maintain the tandem dually setup.

2. Running gears - This is not for the purpose of increasing the cruising speed to 70 or such. 55-60 on the highway is perfectly fine (I've read this to be the upper limit of the truck). What I would be looking to do is lower the engine RPMs while cruising to get better economy. I've already decided I would search high and low for 22.5 inch commercial truck wheels to fit, I've read they exist. I've seen three main suggestions for this - axle gearing, transmission gearing, secondary overdrive for the rear axles. Without considering price, and noting I'd like to keep the stock transmission and transfer case, what are your inputs?

These are the two main things I seek input/advice for. The rest of the project idea I have are pretty straight forward: addition of a 12 volt system, heater, electric wipers...creature comforts. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

DeucesWild11

Welcome to the site.. I can't comment on all your questions but there are plenty of people here who can. As far as the brakes go.. when they are in good working order they work well.. Most of your stopping power is coming from the transmission anyway. As far as running RPM's and efficiency, if you are getting the normal Multifuel you can run WMO in it if it's filtered enough, that would save you some $$ if that's your end goal. If you run any lower RPM's you will have NO power.. not that there is allot to begin with anyway..Best of Luck finding that perfect deuce for you..:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks