• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I've Had a Good Run...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...but things finally catch up with you.

I've been lucky in my CUCV purchases. Worst one was a M1009 that GL modified not only the driveshaft but the transfer case as well. Other than that I've bought 5 CUCVs sight unseen and always came out fairly well. Until now.

Picked up my latest acquisition at N. Ft Hood in Gatesville, TX this morning. Things started out bad when I took a wrong turn (actually missed the turn) and wound up in Copperas Cove instead of Gatesville. Not too big of a deal just about a 20 mile extension to the trip. Got on base and the gates to the holding yard were still locked because the GL guy had lost his keys and we were waiting for the Guard guys to show up. Got to the truck and discovered I forgot my air tank so the flat that I was hoping to air up was now going to have to be changed out for the spare (which the truck had - I checked before) BUT the spare was padlocked on.

Now it was back in to town to hit WalMart for a couple of cans of Fix-a-flat, back to the truck, air the tire up, put the transfer in neutral - CRAP! - transfer case shifter broke off in my hand. Go to pull the truck forward so I can drop the driveshaft and the truck won't move - e-brake is on but there is no release. So now I fart around trying to get the brake released, which I finally do, move the truck out of the line, start putting my lights on, Guard Sgt and GL guy come up and start BSing mentioning how the trucks have been sitting there since at least 2009. We all get a laugh at my expense and I'm out the gate.

Stopped at Tractor Supply on my way out of town and bought a set of bolt cutters for the spare lock in case I had a flat and I'm on my way.

Notice anything I've forgotten to mention? Like dropping the driveshaft after I pulled it forward? Now we can all have another laugh at my expense.

Made it home without a flat and without setting anything on fire but I did check the transfer when I got home and it was warm so it was turning along the way. If, and that's a big IF, I can get it running I'll have to see if I did any damage to the transfer or tranny.

Decided to cut the lock off the spare with my new bolt cutters. Good thing I didn't have a flat. The bolt cutters have a nice round spot on the blades and the lock is still on the truck.

Oh and I didn't mention the MAJOR rust in the roof of the truck that GL was kind enough not to photo. Like I said, things catch up with you at some point.

M1028.jpg018.jpg019.jpg022.jpg023.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cab swaps are a nightmare, but maybe Jeepsinker will give you the stripped cab from Richingalvestion's truck which is still in the Houston area. It's a lot better than that one. There is really no way to fix that rust and have a solid repair. That part of the cab must be strong to keep the cab from collapsing in a rollover.

I'm due for a GL/GSA disaster too . . .

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You couldn't get the lock any deeper into the cutters?
Not enough space to get deeper. Just goes to show how American Steel (lock) is superior to Chinese steel (junk bolt cutters).

Thanks to everyone for pointing out the positives. The body (other than the roof and custom brush guard) is actually in pretty good shape. I had luck getting one of the MEP002s I picked up Wed going so there might be hope for this too. Maybe I can make a T-Top out of it. Either that or duct tape over it, paint it, and sell it on eBay :)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Some day's you're the bug, somedays you are the windshield.

The last 5 ton I bought in Atlanta looked good in the pics. They omitted the pic that would have shown that both brake cans had been ripped off by a forklift. GL yard monkey strikes again.:roll::roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A5200GL locks from American are hard has hades! Not many cutters can cut them without some detempering. I've found it best to remove them with a cutoff wheel and a grinder. They laugh at Sawzall blades as well.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do have some adventures Mark! If it's any consolation, at least two of your previous M1009s are still running well for me. :)

Cheers

cucvrus

Hey just change the cab roof. I saw a thread on this site that guys do it all the time. They even put rear barn doors from Chevy Suburban's on the M1009. No really that cab roof is not all that bad. If the rest of the truck is good and runs well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks