• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I've searched 12 volts........

crazywelder72

I have searched the threads again today and didn't find a clear answer. I was wondering what is the best way to get a 12 volt feed ?

From charging the cell phone, gps, back up cameras or auxiliary lighting. I am not trying to bling out my ride but some things i have grown to love (like my wife).

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I would recommend using a 24V to 12V converter. It would naturally need to be turned off when not in use to avoid draining the batteries. If you would be satisfied with it only running when the truck is running, then it would be simple to switch its power with a 24V relay operated by the master switch on the dashboard.

You can get 12V from the center tap between the two batteries, but this isn't the best option because if you are drawing much current then it can cause uneven battery charging, possibly resulting in one of the batteries getting overcharged.

BEASTMASTER

go with a 24 to 12 conv. you con get a decent 20 to 30 amp for around $40 to $50 and it will take care of what you want. the best one would be out of a comm bus.maybe out of a junk yard, that thing will run anything you can hook up to it.

crazywelder72

looks like I'll be on the hunt for the converter. I don't want to do the tap.

Beastmaster, if i did go to a bone yard and did find a bus, i wouldn't even know where to look for or how to identify the converter. (and since I'm in MA also we should meet up)

jtrojan715

i want to do the same so i bought the 12v alt brackets from tmamerica(think thats his name) takes a standard gm alt and you can run any thing you like.

crazywelder72

that sounds ideal but more expensive that a converter.

my belt system has been modified for my hydraulic steering pump. so my alt only is running off one belt as is.

The "Best" way is to install a separate 12volt alternator and battery that is separate from the 24 system. The easiest way is to tap one of the 12volt batteries that is part of the 24volt system, not advised. A 3rd way is with a battery equalizer. 4th way is with a 24 to 12 volt convertor.

phil2968

Why should a converter be the "4th" option? Seems like the easiest way to maintain battery life and give the power you need. I have one on my 64 volt golf cart with 8 volt batteries (70 plus fully charged) that gives me 13.8 volts @30 amps. It would be the same for my deuce. No engine mods ( op stated his belts already have loads) and a easy connection to the battery bank from your slave port with the converter in the cab. I don't agree with another alt being the "best". Keep it simple. My link provided a converter that would keep a aux battery charged just like an aux alt.
Tapping one of the 12 volt batteries should not even be considered or even included in how to get 12 volts in a deuce.
Just my opinion from a mechanic with 30 years experience.

Last edited:

crazywelder72

from the little bit i read on the web: Taping into the middle of the 2 batteries will give the 12 volts but slowly drain the first battery in series which will cause the second battery to over draw/over charge.

even if it would take a few years to beat the batteries to the point of no return, it just didn't make sense to do it when a easy solution was so inexpensive.

DeucesWild11

crazywelder, Sewerzuk has a pretty good thread called "everything I did to my deuce right here" he goes over a few options of 12v conversions. I like the way he did his.. I think it addresses your concerns. Not sure if you read that one.. it's a long one but great!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why should a converter be the "4th" option? Seems like the easiest way to maintain battery life and give the power you need. I have one on my 64 volt golf cart with 8 volt batteries (70 plus fully charged) that gives me 13.8 volts @30 amps. It would be the same for my deuce. No engine mods ( op stated his belts already have loads) and a easy connection to the battery bank from your slave port with the converter in the cab. I don't agree with another alt being the "best". Keep it simple. My link provided a converter that would keep a aux battery charged just like an aux alt.
Tapping one of the 12 volt batteries should not even be considered or even included in how to get 12 volts in a deuce.
Just my opinion from a mechanic with 30 years experience.
I agree. Unless you are going to have some huge 12v loads, a second 12v charging system is just way overkill. I'd consider converting the whole truck over to 12v before I did this if I needed that much 12v power. Two charging systems is just twice as much stuff to deal with IMO.

from the little bit i read on the web: Taping into the middle of the 2 batteries will give the 12 volts but slowly drain the first battery in series which will cause the second battery to over draw/over charge.

even if it would take a few years to beat the batteries to the point of no return, it just didn't make sense to do it when a easy solution was so inexpensive.
It could take less than 6 months to kill the batteries tapping 12v depending on how much 12v you're drawing.

I bought my M211 in 1984 and the owner had 4 small marker lights on the bed with the small push in bulbs and hooked them up to one battery (12volts) I only used them at night I went through a few batteries I did not think the lights where the problem them the regulator went out and when I bought a new one the guy told me these should last for ever .he asked me if every thing was 24 volts I said no there are 4 bed lights that are 12 volt he said there is the problem .I got rid of them and sense then I have the same regulator and batteries last about 8 years . when one of the batteries quits you never know how far you will be from help .

greg2560

this is the one I got PSWNV720 24V DC To 12V DC Power Step Down 720 Watt Converter W/ PMW Technology (068888905381) | eBay

It will run 2-way radio 50w rf power lights good time radio etc...It just depends what you are trying to do. What power of light how many watts?? I seen that one i passed on it look little light duty. More the heat sink the better. And you got to look at continuous duty cycle not peak, You can have a 1000w converter rated at 10% duty cycle that is crap lol

crazywelder72

Gregg2560, I saw that one and was considering it. I just thought it was overkill for my light needs. if mine turns out to be a big pos i will snatch that up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks