• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ive seen 12v's how difficult would a 24v be?

deuce_09

ive seen 12v cummins swaps in a deuce but id like to know how difficult it would be to put a 24v cummins in a deuce. the reason why im asking is because its hard to find a decent 12v for under $1500 and my dads friend wrecked his 1999 dodge and wants to sell it.he also wants a 4bt cummins for a project for his son.i found a 4bt i can get for free.he told me he would trade the 24v(with all electronics) for the 4bt and $300.so i want to know if it would be a pain to put it in a deuce if i had all the electronics to do it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be just about as easy as a 12 valve. The only thing you might have to do is have the ECU programed to your application ( because you won't be using the factory gauges or have any trans input). That's not that big of a deal though because just about any decent diesel shop, a Cummins dealer, or a Dodge dealer can do it in about 10 minutes for not alot of money.

ODdave

Make Shure its not a #53 block, otherwise the 4b is worth more, actually around here the 4b is worth more anyways. Oh yea, be ready for IP problems.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the deal with a #53 block? I've got a '98 Dodge with a 24 valve and am just curious. I haven't heard anything about this.

You're right about the IP. The main thing to keeping the IP happy is to make for sure it's getting a good supply of fuel at all times.

deuce_09

guys im not the one doing the swap,im just helping my uncle do it for me.so if you can,tell me what your talking about like your reading it out of 24v engine swaps for dummies.
1:how do i find out if its a #53 block
2:what other blocks are there
3:whats IP
thanks for the input guys

deuce_09

also ive heard that instead of using an nv4500,i can get a certain chevy bell housing that will bolt up to the 5-speed in the deuce and then buy an adapter to bolt the cummins up to the chevy bell housing. i would like to use the stock tranny instead of the nv4500.

Burgerboy13

I think if you use the NV4500 you will need to move the transfer case back for more room. Though i would have to suggest a fuller 6 speed for a tranny choice.

ODdave

the 53 block was a block that was cast in brazil for the first couple of years that the 24v was out i.e. 98,99&some2000. aparently they had problems with "core shift" during the casting process and they where very prone to cracking. I am not saying they all crack but to me its not worth the risk. One good thing is these engines only came in trucks with auto trans. (kinna makes you wonder if they knew there was a prob huh????) As far as the IP, that is the injection pump........ugh the infamous VP44 aka "vunurable piece #44" they are problematic and not every diesel shop can repair them (it requires a special and very expensive bosh test bench) Like m16ty said you have to keep fuel to them to keep them happy, but they still dont last as long as the P7100 (12v)
Give google a try just type in CUMMINS #53 you will find plenty of info.

ODdave

also ive heard that instead of using an nv4500,i can get a certain chevy bell housing that will bolt up to the 5-speed in the deuce and then buy an adapter to bolt the cummins up to the chevy bell housing. i would like to use the stock tranny instead of the nv4500.
wouldnt it be a lot easier to just get a SAE #3 bellhousing for the cummins and bolt your 3053 to that?

deuce_09

yea probably

what truck would i find a SAE#3 housing in?
and 3053 is the deuce 5-speed?
(drive terrain for dummies):)
this will be my second deuce.my first deuce was sold for profit to pay some depts off,so im new to all this deuce stuff.

wouldnt it be a lot easier to just get a SAE #3 bellhousing for the cummins and bolt your 3053 to that?

deuce_09

Make Shure its not a #53 block, otherwise the 4b is worth more, actually around here the 4b is worth more anyways. Oh yea, be ready for IP problems.
so do you think i should sell the 4bt an buy a rebuilt 12v?
this 24v i might get has 170,000 mi on it.its a tough decision....

powerhouseduece

4BT's go for a pretty penny. I would suggest sell it and buy a 12v. You cant beat a mechanical motor.

Couldn't agree more, thats why I got 4 of them ;)

I personally would do the P pump swap on the 24v. You wouldnt have to worry about a ECM and you can get more power. Soon as I sell 2 of my motors, im going to start building a p pumped 24v to put in some MV.

deuce_09

well im only thinkin about the 24v swap cause its cheap, its already chiped,and i think they are more responsive than a 12v.but on the other hand ill be mudding in this thing and i dont think 24v's like water.12v's are submergeable...