• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

J pipe prices ... parts prices in general

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Most automobile exhaust shops can't bend the big tubing used on the J-pipe.

I had a ell of a time getting a flanged pipe to go on the NA multi in the M275......I ended up using band clamps and flex pipe. I was installing a muffler on it so it was a custom job anyway.

oddshot

Most automobile exhaust shops can't bend the big tubing used on the J-pipe.
True that, as I found out.

As a post script ...

At the time I started this thread, I placed an order with a internet purveyor of Deuce parts ... AGAIN I WILL NOT MENTION NAMES ...

After a week I got notified that the part was not in stock but would be shipped in roughly 7 to 10 days.

Saddly ... this process of promise ... but no shipping repeated itself for over 6 weeks, almost 2 months.

I was eventually told that most of the folks who sell these pipes get them from the same manufacturer ... who tools up and makes a limited run of them as he can. This manufacturer was the reason for the broken promises NOT (!!!) the on-line seller ... who tried VERY HARD to get the part. And I REALLY appreciate the efforts they made.

For the record ... a LOT of folks indicated this part (the J tube) in their catalog BUT, as I found out, a lot of them didn't have it in stock ... REGARDLESS of price.

Eventually, I canceled the order ... and last week I got a pair of 90 degree, 3 1/2" ID, 3 1/2 OD pipes and a short coupling from a local parts store. I cut out the bad spots and welded in my own repair. Total cost about $70.00

Enough of the Deuce's exhaust system is visible that it could be considered an appearance item. My repair ain't as pretty as a "store-bought" ... but its serviceable. At least now I can run the truck with the passenger vent open without filling the cab with exhaust smoke.

If I get ambitious, I'll grind down the welds a bit ... and maybe thrown on some hi-temp flat black to pretty things up.

oddshot

oddshot

I don't feel bad by not buying overpriced parts. Its not a status symbol in my book.

More $$ for diesel.
A BIG OL' PLUS ONE THERE!!!!

ESPECIALLY when you find out that there is NO difference in the parts at all.

Some retailers just have a higher cost of operations ... or might not get as much of a discount from the wholesaler ...and therefore has to mark things up a bit more.

It don't make them bad people.

Just like it don't make me a bad person if I got to shop around for the best deal.

Like you say ...

"more $$$ for diesel".

oddshot

paulfarber

Look at the price for the knuckle boots. Same part, same (single) manufacturer... I've seen a $10 spread on a $25 part. Either zippered on solid, rubber or silicon some places seem to simply have a 50% mark up.

Ditto for the clamps... I've seen them for $6-11.. for the same part.

With shipping so high, you have to shop around.. and hope that you can get a good deal on the parts.

TJP

I bought a pipe kit that came with everything from the turbo back for 200.00 plus shipping. It was nice to have all new parts

toddm

The J pipe on my truck is stainless, I saw a picture of the truck before it was painted. It stuck out like a sore thumb, I hate to know what that piece cost somebody!

emr

WOW! every part for any hobby vehicle is worth what someone is willing to pay, good service , always has what they need etc. as for being cheap, at least U admit it, SO... I will add because u said it... if U can not afford your truck U should think about your investment in it, just buy the cheap one and see what u get, U are complaining before u even know, if its new, old stock, a take off or Stainless like said, and if its rusty u can complain U did not get a brand new pipe for less than half what the new pipes go for, :) they average 125 to 175 by me, good used.

AMX

EMR, he didnt complain , he asked if there was a quality difference to accompany the price difference. A very sensible question.

oddshot

EMR, he didnt complain , he asked if there was a quality difference to accompany the price difference. A very sensible question.
Nahhhh ...

Why the 'ell would somebody want to know if there is a QUALITY DIFFERENCE ... or other factor to accompany the wide range of prices???

And shopping around to find the best price for the same goods?

How does THAT make sense????

I should EXPECT to pay Walker prices for Korean crap ... and be happy to do it.

And just look at the way I up and crapped all over the Retailer I dealt with ... and all the other folks that sell this stuff too.

What an ungrateful degenerate I am.

The truth is ... I'm really just a cheap SOB ... who really can't afford the truck to begin with. I don't know a **** thing about these vehicles any way. I guess I probably shouldn't even have bothered.

My bad.

Maybe I'll just haul the thing off for scrap .... or turn it into a planter.

Score another one for the MKL.

:roll:

oddshot

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks