• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

J pipe

Crazyguypa

So I got my truck last week, and immediately started pulling pieces off that needed some attention. I took them to work to sandblast them down, this way I could start fresh. Apparently the owners/drivers of this vehicle couldn't get the correct part they needed, ie the suction ductwork for the cab heater, and just torched a new hole and moved the intake scoop back. Somethings never change. Does anyone have a left side (driver's)panel they want to part with? Not sure if this could be cut out and patched.

Well the latest undertaking was to take the exhaust pipes off and clean them up, since i noticed a few holes at the bottom of the 'J' pipe. The metal seemed kinda thin to me, so I blasted it to see to what extent. Looks like the whole bottom legs is very thin.

I guess I could have one of the welders at work cut the section out and re TIG it, but it might be just easier to buy a new one. What do you guys think? I saw Saturn and OD have them, has anyone gotten one from either of them before? Should I try a local shop? Is stainless pipe even worth it, I mean this is probably the original pipe making it about 34 years old. Seems it held up pretty damn good, until I got my hands on it.

Attachments

devilman96

I’m pretty sure both my and Saturn’s sources are the same on the J pipes with the exception of the stainless which I don’t carry... If you CAN afford it I would spring for the stainless but I don’t argue your thought process on the longevity of a standard pipe vs. cost ether...

A few of the guys here are running mine, maybe one will pipe up! lol

SasquatchSanta

I bought a complete SS exhaust system through Dan Stigletz Tel: 414 305 1670, email: stigy44@elknet.net. Dan reps a large company out east that builds this stuff.

I bought the original package because I wanted a muffler to quiet things down a bit --- which it did. When I installed the LDS engine I contacted Dan and they engineered a second, drivers side mufler/stack modification.

Whether you're looking for a complete kit or a stock j-pipe I can recommend Dan.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The originals (NOS) will last a long while. Repairing and re-welding is hardly worth the time..... I once spent most of the day re-welding a system on the M211 and it just kept showing up with another weak spot. The material errods away. Re-start with a new system.

"Twice Pipes" sound interesting. Does that mean that there will be twice the noise, or that the driver will get his re-directed share of it.

Lee in Alaska

badgmc56

That panel looks repairable to me. Trace out a patch of the same gauge and weld it up.Grind down any exess weld and top it off with seam-sealer and it will look factory.Did that to the floor of my GMC, came out nice. Some JERK thought he needed a bigger hole in the floor to check the brake fluid I guess so he torched one.Some people are just hackers and don't know the value of anything. Your right, some things never change!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I've got a NOS drivers side panel, need to confirm. ACE, you were in Hollywood and didn't stop and see me? I was a few miles from you!