• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

jammed transfer case

2deuce

It feels like it is engaged in low and high at the same time. The drive lines are disconnected. I thought I would take the linkage loose next, to see if that would unbind it. I was thinking about starting the engine and putting the trans in gear, D & R but fear that might damage the trans. I couldn't find anything in the search about a jammed CUCV TC. Wondered if anybody else came across this.

Greg

4bogginchevys

it does sound a bit like a linkage problem, i'm not real familiar with 208 linkage but if there's 2 separate rods doing their own thing than one might have come loose at the clamp. A simple look at the linkage for odd wear/or a clean spot that use to be cevered by a clamp. If that looks good I say internal problem. You could put a white mark on each output yoke and make sure they are turning at the same rate....how did you come to the conclusion that it's in low and high...?:neutral:

2deuce

Sorry its a M1008 with the np208. The shifter is stuck at the crossover point to 4 low. I'm going to pull it out today if I can't unstick it. The truck won't move, the drive lines were disconnected so it could be towed with a rope. I've got another TC that should be good, I was wondering if anybody else came across this problem. Did a search and came up with nothin, none stuck, jammed or broken.

Thanks

gaunt1969

make shure your tranny is in nutral and biv it a good working back and forth; mine did that . bad thing about it is it was a bad range fork and anulus drum bushing.

2deuce

Yes its bad. I pulled it out and put in another one. Went to start the truck and the starter now grinds. Did get it started but it ground on the flex plate a couple more times. Looks like I should have fixed that first. Then drove my m1009 about a 50mi round trip and the right alternator is making noise, I can see the pulley vibrating. I'm going to go back out and see if I have another one. The alt is still charging ok. I'm wondering if replacing that bearing is easy or a huge PITA. I haven't changed a flex plate yet either, I wonder how much fun that will be. Anybody have any pointers, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Greg

4bogginchevys

bearing in the alt is probably bad, you need a donor and take it ALL apart. The flex plate is a bummer. Use some ratchet staps for safety in addition to the jack, just slide it all back 6" or so, you'll need to pull the dip stick and some misc crap loose but it's pretty simple. Just heavy work. Good luck2cents

Last edited:

2deuce

I pulled the halves apart and there is ground up metal shavings everywhere in piles. I took the gears and chain off but didn't look like the way to do it in a goodcase cause needle bearings went everywhere. From there I could see a gear in shreads up in the input area but everything is still stuck and it won't come apart further. I did this out of curiousity, I don't need to fix the case. I can't imagine the case running long enough to grind up so much metal. I might get a big hammer and find out more or at least separate the aluminum scrap. I bought this truck with the case already stuck. I was told it was pulling a heavy load when it stopped but I didn't know it ground to a stop.

Greg