• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeff City, MO M915A1's

Andy1234

This week I was able to bring (3) of the M915A1's home from the GL lot in Jeff City. Some friends (Hairba11 and another who's not on the forum) and I went up on Tuesday morning to get them.

As usual, Mike Snell, the GL rep, was fantastic. He had the trucks staged, and was there waiting for us. He waited around while we left w/ one of the trucks to drop off (approx 45 minutes), and then came back for the other 2. I had my own keys (and had told him that), but he had keys made up for the trucks where they were missing.

They had moved the trucks from the off-base lot, to a lot located on-base, but it wasn't a big deal, it's less then 1/2 mile away.

One of the trucks started right up, the other 2 needed a jump. all 3 trucks needed mud flaps, but that was it.

Goodies included slave cables (2 of them!), inflators, jacks, lug wrenches, brand new manuals, amongst others. (2) of the trucks have (11) brand new 11-22.5 tires and full fuel tanks!

One truck had a minor fuel leak, but I was able to drive it home on Saturday with no problem.

We parked 1 truck at Hairba11's dad's house (the one w/ the fuel leak) and then drove the other 2 home.

The one that I drove on Tuesday screams, and will accelerate all the way to the redline (approx 70 mph). The other one has a shake in the back around 62 mph, so we kept it around 60 mph. Only issues were a shredded fan belt on the shaker, but I didn't even notice until we got home (no overheating) as well as no lights.

Driving impressions? These things ride like a d@mn Cadillac! Easy to steer, lots of power, and great visibility. No earplugs needed! The air brakes are touchy, and do require a little getting used to, but they will stop the truck on a dime. The transmission shifts firmly (and downshifts more firmly), but otherwise is nice. Much easier for a novice to drive then the 16 speed in the M915 or M920.

All 3 of these trucks are TX depot rebuilds in '07, so condition is excellent. All the trucks at the sale were depot rebuilds, so they sold for approx $1k-$2k more then the Topeka, KS trucks.

According to Mike, we were the 2nd group to pick the trucks up. There were 2 guy's from western Nebraska there that same morning picking 2 trucks up and driving them back.

I have one more left, but it came from the 2nd round, so the EUC hasn't cleared, yet.

Andy

Attachments

Last edited:

TeamAL2.5

that must have been you on hwy 30 that I honked and waved to!!! looked like a nice truck. i was the guy passing the other direction in my m818. i had just left from a fund raiser at the elks lodge in high ridge. i could use one of those to pull my m172a1 for sure. however, i believe the girl has other plans for my $$$

M1075

The one that I drove on Tuesday would go to 2600 rpm (not that I felt comfortable at that rpm, but it would). It is the exception, as the one that I drove home on Saturday tops out at 2200 rpm.

Andy
Ahh, thanks for the update. At 2600 rpm and 43" tall tires, you should be able go nearly 75 MPH! I'm not sure for how long though!

Great looking trucks Andy!

AMGeneral

Hmmm,I guess my 915A1 is right there with stock trim then,it'll only manage 63 mph(GPS and radar verified) at a governed 2350 rpm with the 1100 x 22.5 wheels/tires.

Granted,it will manage that empty or loaded,uphill or down.

reb87

Ive got the 11.00r24 tires from my m919 on my m915a1 and it will do 67-68mph at 2200. I ususally run it 65mph at 2100.

davidkroberts

I previewed those trucks while i was picking up a M101. I agree mike was great the younger guy with him was a great help too. Those trucks were incredible. Its amazing how much resources of ours the government waste. Works out great for us until you think about it being our money to begin with.

Andy1234

And the 4th 915A1 is home!

Went back to Jeff City this morning and picked up the 4th truck, and made it home w/ no issues. The day worked perfectly, Hairba11 and I left @10 AM and got the truck and made it back to StL just in time to beat the rain.

Once again, Mike, the GL rep was great. The truck was staged, and he let us use another truck for a jump start and he had all the paperwork ready. We put the top part of the stack on, put a new pair of mudflaps on, adjusted the mirrors, gave everything the once over, and were off the lot in less then 20 minutes.

This truck is from the 2nd sale that came out of Jeff City, and the condition is excellent. 11 new tires, less then 16K miles, full fuel tank, everything works, etc.. Overall, I'm very pleased w/ these 4 trucks.

This one has great power, and the governor works, and works well. Once you get to 2350 rpm (64 mph according to the chase truck), you can push the pedal down as far as you want, but you're not going any faster. Acceleration is great, when Hairba11 was driving it out of the rest stop along I-70, I had trouble keeping up! When I was driving it along I-70, going up a fairly steep hill, I was able to pass other cars! That's a nice feeling (compared to an M818 at 40 mph, or an M816 at 30 mph on the same hill)!

No pics, but I'll get some up over the weekend.

Andy

Last edited:

cornrichard

Does anyone know if the address for the Jefferson city GL location is correct. The map on the GL web site shows it to be about 2 blocks from the capitol building. I can't get my gps to take 7010 rang road. I am going there Tuesday AM and would love some direction from someone who has been there.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Does anyone know if the address for the Jefferson city GL location is correct. The map on the GL web site shows it to be about 2 blocks from the capitol building. I can't get my gps to take 7010 rang road. I am going there Tuesday AM and would love some direction from someone who has been there.
I sent you the info on your other post , lot is on Militia Drive. Don't know why GL has the wrong location on the map.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks