• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

JEGS Reproduction Aluminum Radiator - any experience?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Picked up a new problem child - there's a giant hole in the radiator and someone soldered up about three rows of tubes. So I'm looking at options - this is the only one with pretty detailed pictures and appears to have the trans cooler, engine oil cooler, and level sensor ports and actually appears to be basically the correct dimensions.

Has anyone actually tried one yet? I'm no stranger to modifications and I've got a TIG welder but I would prefer not to get too off in the weeds. Also don't want to spend stupid and crazy money on my stump jumper (she's a bit rough 😅 )

Also - anyone got a fan shroud for sale? That has a BIG chunk missing behind the hole in the radiator - looks like someone bashed it through a fence or through some angry Zulu's with spears.

Last edited:

Jeepadict

I've long been a fan of Champion radiators. Used multiple in various Squarebody and GMT800 trucks. Support is fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've long been a fan of Champion radiators. Used multiple in various Squarebody and GMT800 trucks. Support is fantastic!

I can't find a Champion radiator listed that's even close to the stock CUCV radiator size. The largest radiator they list is a 33" wide unit. The CUCV radiator is 41" wide. Unless I'm missing something on their web site.....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not that one you linked, but I bought a Chinese made 4 core for mine. Works great. But the coolant level sensor doesn't have a bung provision. I ended up just taking a small section of hose and "plugged" the nipple on the tank with the sensor.

I tried patching up my original brass radiator. But after it sprung leak after leak, it was simply time to replace it. A OE brass radiator is hard to find and expensive when you do.

I'll admit, I'm not happy that I went this path, but it hasn't been a problem. I also did the same thing with my car last spring. Hopefully it'll stand up to the new big block that's in it....

Jeepadict

I can't find a Champion radiator listed that's even close to the stock CUCV radiator size. The largest radiator they list is a 33" wide unit. The CUCV radiator is 41" wide. Unless I'm missing something on their web site.....
Call them and thell them you have an 84 Chevrolet K30 with the 6.2L Diesel and TH400 trans. If you tell them you have a CUCV it's just gonna confuse them.

87cr250r

If you can afford to recore the original do it. I had a tube fail on my original. I replaced it with the Spectra brass unit. It literally weighed half of the original. It lasted about 2 years in a daily driver. The level sensor never worked very well and it didn't fit the truck well. I replaced it with the aluminum radiator with plastic tanks. That radiator has performed much better. If you need to go aftermarket I suggest that route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks