• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jet A fuel??

Lax

I am on a disaster relief run (Sandy) right now and will need fuel. I am also a pilot and know where a few airports are I can get fuel. Can I run Jet A fuel in a stock M35 Deuce. I never have and can't remember. If so, can I run it straight or must I cut it with something. Thanks.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look down at the dash, just above the steering column. There is a data plate right there, that tells you which fuels are allowed.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked in the -10TM.

The answer is yes.

Lax

Dodhead,
As always you are a huge help. It will be a very long day as I drive from Rochester to Albany to deliver to Toms River, NJ. I'm told there are families that have nothing but the cloths on their backs and I am inbound with cloths, hats, gloves, diapers, towels, blankets, food and water, etc. now. I can only check in from time to time. Now I need to figure out how to check the tranny oil level. Thanks.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a plug(pipe plug) on the side of the transmission, about 4-5 inches up. it may be a square head or 9/16 hex head pipe plug.

You remove the plug and use a finger to feel the oil level. it should be about an inch below the hole.

Use caution, as it will be very hot after driving.

The top arrow is the vent, you may or may not have one. If you do, you should be sure it is not stuck closed. Remove it and blow through it. I think it takes a 7/16" wrench.

The bottom arrow is the fill/level plug. About 1" below is good. You probably have 90 wt gear oil in your trans. SAE40wt is acceptable as well, but will leak out easier, if you do have a leak.

Can you tell where it is leaking from?

A small drip, is no big deal.

Don't push your speeds. I would drive 50mph max.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lax

That's great!! If the engine cools can I check it then or should I do it while it is warm? Is the oil filled through the side hole where it is checked?? Thanks a ton!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it is checked and filled at the same location.

You can do it warm, just be careful. it will be hot.

Unless your leaving a trail or dripping continuously, you probably will make it all the way without needing to check it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^ what DH says. It will be VERY hot after driving. I would do it cold. If the vent is stopped up, when you take the plug out hot, the hot oil will go everywhere, including all over you. it will blister your skin.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, if it is a square headed plug.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you stop, look at your plug and determine if it is square or hex socket. If it is hex socket, buy a 3/8" all-thread coupling(can be used with a wrench or socket), or a 9/16" Allen socket for your plug.

Any 80/90wt gear oil will work. GL5 or GL1. It should be "yellow metal safe", but most guys never worry about any of that.

Total oil capacity is about 1 gallon.

Last edited:

Lax

You guys have been great! If the tranny only holds a gallon I will get a couple quarts and that should be good for safety stock. I may be able to buy them with the spout already on the bottle and I can squeeze it in. That would be a lot easier.. Thanks so much guys. I am going off line now. I will send you an after action report when I get back in a few days. Thanks and take care.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck, and let them all know all of us from Upstate NY(and elsewhere) are praying for them and we care.

mikew

Tractor supply carries GL-1 oil. If you've never changed the transmission oil, I'd stick with GL-1 (don't mix types).

The attached pic shows the bottle.

When you get home and have time to kill you can read all the "what's the best kind of gear oil to use" threads and decide for yourself... when you get home!

And keep up the good work!

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use Jet-A, I have been told you need to use a little lube (oil) with it to lube the IP pump. Also it is a good cleaner so I would carry a spare primary fuel filter with you.

Good luck!!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use Jet-A, I have been told you need to use a little lube (oil) with it to lube the IP pump. Also it is a good cleaner so I would carry a spare primary fuel filter with you.

Good luck!!!

Straight Jet A is a good cleaner, I agree carry some spare filters, more than one primary.

Add two quarts of 2 cycle oil to a full tank of Jet A or a quart or two of any motor oil will ensure good lube for the IP and pump.

Glad you're helping out! stay safe!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks