• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jiffy Lube As a Source....NOT!

STrider3

I finally went into town today and asked Jiffy Lube if I could have access to their waste engine oil or transmission fluid. I was told that they have three 1000 gallon tanks under the floor storing all waste fluids. I was then told that they sell it to a recycler for $1.50 a gallon. My conversation ended there. Next stop was Merchant's tire and got the same story. I guess I can check Goodyear auto service and some of the smaller outfits but am expecting the same.

I checked a few weeks ago at our county landfill but only got as far as reading a sign by the oil tanks that removing anything from them constitutes theft and will be prosecuted.

My only source so far has been a barrel of WEO from a local farm that changes all of the farm equipment a couple times a year. This barrel is now gone and I will add that it did burn nicely with no problems so far. Harder to start and a bit of smoke when it does but the engine is quieter and power is more than adequate.

I would guess that all of you keep your WEO and ATF sources secret but it would be nice to hear from people what they are getting for cheap/free and how much of it and a general where.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try small engine repair shops and motorcycle shops. Offer to place a 55 gallon barrel at their shop and empty it regularly. I don't think they would generate enough WMO to interest many recyclers, but it would likely be enough to fuel your truck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, people are starting to keep their sources closer to the vest nowadays.

RodUSMC1962

If you go past a house that has a rig parked stop and ask. There are truckers that change their own oil and just burn it in a barrel.My buddie and I and I have picked up locations that way.

Tanner

This lack of supply is primarily due to the fact that major oil recyclers are going after the quick-change oil places & offering $1.00+ per gallon of waste oils/fluids. This is common in most cities/towns of size & often is based on corporate agreements with the HQ of the franchises. Your best bet might be with the rural auto/truck shops that create bigger volumes of waste fluids, but don't create enough volume monthly to be on the radar screen of the major recyclers.

'Tanner'

Truckoholic

I'm always happy when my cousins or whoever want me to change the oil in their cars or pickups. And it's nice having my logging truck that needs oil changes every couple months. I've got a 150 gallon Peterbilt fuel tank mounted to the side of my shop that I put all my used oil in. Don't have a filtration system setup yet, so so far it's just been collecting oil and being used to help start burn piles on fire now and then. But eventually I hope to be able to filter it and use it in the deuce.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These large oil change places also have to account for where the oil goes to keep the E.P.A happy . And in the north many places use waste oil for heat.

scoutmanadam

i get mine from a local privately owned garage, and sometimes from a school district shop. i dont know if you have larger irrigation districts around you but around here they are also a source

ralbelt

As stated your motorcycle and lawn and garden equipment shops may be your best bet. WE will generate approx 200 plus gal a year [L&G] , will more lickly than not be diluted with 5-10% gas,not enough for a waste oil heater and in the past 20 or so years have had to pay to have it removed although last month a company offered to remove it for free. We do get the proper paper work for disposing of hazardous material which is required.
I would think that if there was an oil spill involving WMO being transported without the proper paper work DEM would have a field day.2cents

STrider3

UPDATE

Got really lucky today. I went by a local automotive shop off the beaten path and asked about getting their WEO/ATF. They are a shop where all lube oils and removed fuels go into one 500 gallon tank. The shop owner says that he does get a little bit of money from the recyclers but they are very slow to come and get it when called creating a storage problem and that he would just as well have me take it. IOW he would rather not deal with it. The rule for me is not to make a big deal of it, just wheel my barrel into the shop, fill it and go. He would also rather I not drive my truck up to the one and only shop door where I would need a 30 foot hose anyway. So I will be carting my barrels in and out of the shop. Their tank is stored in the shop so I can trust that water is not getting in. Also I do not have a worry about antifreeze in the tank because there is a separate tank for that. Also, there is a loading ramp of exactly the right height for the deuce bed about two hundred yards away so I can get my barrels onto the truck. Not easy but doable.

I took a gallon today and poured it into my dirty barrel and the stuff looks clean and is definitely thin enough to burn as it is. I really doubt any thinning will be necessary. Just the normal filtering that I always do before it goes in the trucks' tank.

Now I am off and running. A great find.

6x6TRex

I used to get mine from farmers and people who did their own oil changes but now have a local garage that lets me take as much as I want.

I have put wanted ads on craigslist saying I will pick up any WMO, gas, diesel, atf, hydraulic oil and fuel oil.

Once had a farmer call me saying he had about 20 gal of off road diesel and 8 gal of WMO. Went to pick it up and ended up talking to him about the deuce and what fuels it would run on. I ended up going home with about 25 gal of off road diesel, 15 gal of WMO, and 15 gal of hydraulic oil.

A

A/C Cages

Make sure you are dewatering these fuels. Most mechanics dont seperate the oils well enough and if someone has a blown head gasket?? Well that antifreeze and water has entered the oil tank and now if being poured into that oil supply.

Filter filter filter and dewater.
Your deuce will love you for it.

PUZZLED

UPDATE

Got really lucky today. I went by a local automotive shop off the beaten path and asked about getting their WEO/ATF. They are a shop where all lube oils and removed fuels go into one 500 gallon tank. The shop owner says that he does get a little bit of money from the recyclers but they are very slow to come and get it when called creating a storage problem and that he would just as well have me take it. IOW he would rather not deal with it. The rule for me is not to make a big deal of it, just wheel my barrel into the shop, fill it and go. He would also rather I not drive my truck up to the one and only shop door where I would need a 30 foot hose anyway. So I will be carting my barrels in and out of the shop. Their tank is stored in the shop so I can trust that water is not getting in. Also I do not have a worry about antifreeze in the tank because there is a separate tank for that. Also, there is a loading ramp of exactly the right height for the deuce bed about two hundred yards away so I can get my barrels onto the truck. Not easy but doable.

I took a gallon today and poured it into my dirty barrel and the stuff looks clean and is definitely thin enough to burn as it is. I really doubt any thinning will be necessary. Just the normal filtering that I always do before it goes in the trucks' tank.

Now I am off and running. A great find.
Careful trusting that there is no coolant in the WMO just because there is a separate tank for it. I work at what i believe is the 2nd largest chevy dealer in the US and can tell you that a technicians habits are not in line w/ keeping drain barrels clean and tidy. I use my oil drain quit often under a truck while i'm removing the lower radiator hose. That way I can drain the cooling system for whatever i'm doing later while i'm working on the diff, trans, or brakes.

On top of that, the drain barrels are a catch all for brake fluids, cleaners, solvents, additives of every kind, water, coffee that got cold, YOU NAME IT.

I personally welded some fittings into two 55 gallon barrel lids and the eurothaned the lids on. I put shop air to the top of the barrels and fill my truck w/ it. I get ONLY the transmission fluid out of our Trans flush machines, and even that stuff pukes a bit of water after sitting a few weeks.

Be safe or it will cost you2cents

panshark

I'd like to add to the opportunity list.

About a year ago, an employee from an oil company located within my state offered to let me have 500 gallons of free fuel, totes included, due to the fact that the fuel was contaminated with some other petrol...they were just storing it. I turned down the offer, I had enough fuel on my hands at the time. However, it's a bold enough move that might just work for a lot of guys. Call up a fuel delivery company, ask them if they've got any dirty stuff just sitting around that you can help them deal with. Better yet, show up in person.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to recall airports are a source for fuel. The way I understand it, if they drain the fuel out of a airplane it is considered contaminated and can't be reused. A deuce will run fine on jet fuel.