• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

JLBM MEP-006A (PU-650B/G) Recovery Trip

wsucougarx

JBLM MEP-006A (PU-650B/G) Recovery Trip

Sorry for the long drawn out story. Seems I can never put down a brief recovery story..LOL. Yesterday was a very successfull recovery trip at Joint Base Lewis McChord. I headed up at 0 dark 30 to pickup my PU-650B/G (fancy way of saying a MEP-006A mounted on a M200A1 trailer). I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what to bring to the recovery trip as this was the first "real" trailer I ever hauled. My mind was stuck on another deuce recovery. After awhile the air hoses, air compressor wrench, etc in the back of my truck didn't make sense. I guess I've picked up too many deuces;-) I unloaded everything and just threw a standard tool kit in the rear.
I really can't tell you what I'm going to do with this thing. I saw it and was more or less interested in what these gensets go for. I threw down what I thought was a small bid....a day and a couple hours later I won the darn thing. No regrets though. I made an executive decision a couple days before. I decided to take my 3/4 ton HD Dodge Cummins for the recovery. I took a chance in that I planned the recovery the morning of a work day. Mr. Murphy was in the back of my head and several potential catastrophic events filled my mind on the drive up to JBLM. By God's grace everything went smoothly with no problems what so ever. As I have told a couple SS, I have a new found respect for that 5.9 High Output Cummins. At acceration speeds and highway speeds, I hardly noticed the towed weight of 7,000 lbs. Due to the double caliper disc brakes at all four corners, braking was NOT an issue at all. I pretty much stayed in 5th gear (6 speed manual tranny) the whole way home.
I got stung by the GL thief. Someone made off with my dipstick. That was the first thing I checked for. After I won it, I did after-winning preview to look her over and thought maybe I should pull the dipstick and hide in the trailer. Of course I didn't, someone else did.:( Looks like a trip to the scrapper for parts.
Looks like she was recently serviced as the oil was just changed! Belts just changed out to brand new NAPA ones, antifreeze looks fresh, batteries are fresh/dead, and the fuel tank was plumb full of diesel! (that's 55 gallons worth;-) ). The hour meter reads 448.5 hours. She also came with 4 brand new tires. The description states she's a 1978. Looking inside of her, she is much newer than that. There were 3 other MEP-006A's in this auction and they all sold for around the same price. I like the MERDC as she will match my parade deuce nicely:).

The pintle adapter plate was a little too low for this trailer. I may end up flipping the lunette at a later date. I ended up having to pick the front up by hand so my son could push the landing leg up. I was surprise the tongue weight wasn't more. Sorry no pics on that one. I kind of had my hands full;-)

Issues:
Cut air line
Deck mangled but useable
Dipstick MIA
BIG;-)

Auction details
Won: 22DEC10
Submitted EUC: 03JAN11 (almost defaulted)
EUC sent to BC: 03JAN11
Notified EUC selected for PERIODIC ASSESSMENT: 11JAN11** (told it could 4-8 weeks)
PAID IN FULL Invoice: 19JAN11
Pickup: 21JAN11

**contacted Becky B at DLA/DRMO to express my interest in expediting this EUC as my previous EUC (8th one) took 2 months and didn't want to wait another 2 months for this one...not sure if it helped but those 4-8 weeks took 6 days;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

Stalwart

As far as the dipstick goes, you can always have someone measure one for you and mark your own. They can be had for less than $10.00 and you just need to search "universal dipstick" in google.

I'd be interested in hearing how it runs. :jumpin:

PS, if it runs good I might be interested. I just don't have time to go through all the legwork involved in getting one myself from them.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Congrats! Does it run?
Not sure, batteries were as dead as dead can be. I just pulled the batteries just a few minutes ago to charge them. I'm going to go through her first. I was going to drain the tank but being it's completely full I may need to postpone that. With all indications, new oil, newer antifreeze, new fuel filter canisters it should run:wink:. I found the words "EXCESS" and the PU-650's VIN # written on the inside of the battery door. Looks like they just had too many at the unit level and got rid of her[thumbzup]. Funny thing is CARNAC found out this genset belonged to a Fort Riley unit, then for some unknown reason it was shipped to WA and turned in to JBLM DRMO....some 1872 miles away. What's up with that?

wsucougarx

As far as the dipstick goes, you can always have someone measure one for you and mark your own. They can be had for less than $10.00 and you just need to search "universal dipstick" in google.

I'd be interested in hearing how it runs. :jumpin:

PS, if it runs good I might be interested. I just don't have time to go through all the legwork involved in getting one myself from them.
Thanks Stuart! I'll look into the univ dipstick. I'm thinking Brad may have a couple laying on the deck at his yard. I will definately let you know once I finally convince myself this thing is way MORE than I need. Right now she is parked in my two car garage. Well actually let me correct myself. It is now a one generator garage:-?. I had 1/2 inch to spare when backing it in. I think was the most stressful MV experience I have ever had. Mind you I have really no experience with trailers. To back one into a garage with 1/2 inch height allowance and only 6 inches to each side. I think my Dodge's clutch is probably hating me right now. I never road a clutch so much:?

Stalwart

Thanks Stuart! I'll look into the univ dipstick. I'm thinking Brad may have a couple laying on the deck at his yard.
That's what I'm here for, mostly snarky comments :wink: and an occasional bit of wisdom. If you can get someone here to measure one, you might be better off, I'd hate to see you get the wrong one from Brad. It's a big unit no doubt, it might be even too big for me, I haven't checked power I need. I do have a power hungry house though.

wsucougarx

Listen to Stuart Scott! Don't give into your temptation man. You'll end up tweeking something that'll extend your recovery time. We want you to be :driver: in a couple months rather than :cry: in a couple months. :shock: