• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Joining the MKT90 family

scootr14

Since I was already playing on the trailer, I decided it was time to fix the trailer lights. Since I don't have a military vehicle, I chose to use an RV plug, and wire it straight into the wiring harness. Somewhere on the forum are directions to hook this up to a 7 way plug (traditional). But unfortunately, as I found out, they sell 3 different 7 way plugs. Traditional, RV Standard, and Heavy Duty. Each of which is wired differently. Mine is for a 5th wheel, and is wired as an RV Standard, so I ended up having to ping each wire separately.
20151207_213802[1].jpg
If you use the same plug as me, the correct wiring is:

7 way RV Standard------------Military Wiring Harness

Right turn & stop (Brown)----------Black with white stripe
Left turn & stop (Red)--------------Red with purple stripe
Tail & running lights(Green)---------Red with no stripe
Ground wire (White)---------------Black with purple stripe

Last edited:

KitchenCannon

For those wondering. The Mil -Spec connectors for the MBU's come with different part numbers based on the supplier. Well at least slightly different numbers.
I ordered from Mouser
You need two parts, one is the base and the other is the insert.

I ordered the base with a cable clamp
PN 97-3057-1008 from Mouser was 654-97-3057-1008

Insert was
PN 97-3106A-16-11S
2 Pin Shell size was 16
Mouser number was 654-973106A1611S

Paid right at 26.00 per connector.

My MKT did not come with the power supply for the units so I had to source a different unit.
the Mean Well SE-600-24 runs about 80.00 per unit.
I have yet to get all of my MBU's up and running at the same time since I am still working on the cables so I am not sure yet what running all 6 on that power supply will do. I think I may order a second one to run the Ovens. The load is 600W but I know when you start up the MBU they pull a higher load so I think starting them all up at the same time may be too much for a single supply.

At any rate this is my first post and I joined because I too have an MKT. You guys seem like the place to go for reference and assistance on getting up and running.
Now I need to get a fuel hose so I can fill the MBU's in place.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The burners can get real finicky if the voltage drops too much when they try to light off, as I found out the hard way at the Monroe, NC airshow late last year. If your inverter is only putting out 26 volts, don't expect to get more than one burner working at a time.

KitchenCannon

We looked at that on the power supply. I think we will be okay running a few of the burners but honestly I am expecting to have to get at least one more power supply. At 85.00 I can afford to do that. If I tried to locate the issued Teleflex supply I would be looking at 300.00 to 400.00 if not more from what I have seen on ebay.

Another Ahab

The burners can get real finicky if the voltage drops too much when they try to light off, as I found out the hard way at the Monroe, NC airshow late last year. If your inverter is only putting out 26 volts, don't expect to get more than one burner working at a time.
The igniter is electric, but the burners are gas aren't they?

So wouldn't you be able to just fire up any of the other burners with a match or something?

Last edited:

KitchenCannon

Yes you have to have an electrical connection to the burners to make them function at least on the MBU 's and newer units.
They use a 24v DC power supply that has a special set of power cables.
The MKT has 4 burners on one side for the griddle and stove tops and two burners on the other side for the ovens.
The cables are designed with that set up in mind and the power supply sits under the counter in a special bracket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks