• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jolt when Shifting from stop

Chagawaga

Hi guys,
My HMMWV jolts when I shift from standing still (happens from N to R but its More prominent when I shift to D ) as if someone hit me from the back.
I checked the drive axle it has a little play when I rotated it with my hand.
Is this normal in HMMWV?
Thanks

jeffy777

That has not yet happened to me. (I found that if you say it doesn't happen to me then your HMMWV says let me show you and you got to fix it.) Try putting it into HL and trying it and see how it reacts. Then if that is ok move it back to H. If it is always there at least you have more to report.

Chagawaga

Speaking of which i found it kinda weird shifting between H and HL it grinds. I know this sounds dumb but I should fo it on neutral right? And I drive on HL normally

dilvoy

You are supposed to turn off the engine when changing transfer case positions. High Lock is only for driving on loose ground, not pavement of any type.

Katavic918

Yikes, never drive on dry pavement in HL. Mine clunks from N to D and N to R sometimes. Not bad but kind of like it's taking up slack in he drivetrain. I'm not sure why but if I move the gear selector more slowly it smooths out considerably.

Carrera911

Totally normal. As a part of the 4 wheel independent suspension, every wheel has a cv joint and a little slop comes from this. Same reason when you stop abruptly it will rock a little forward / back. Also the slop between the transmission, through the transfer case, in the driveshafts and the differentials will have some rotational play. When you place it in gear, it takes up the slack in the system and after everything stops, it has a little jolt.

Also when switching the transfer case, put the tranny in neutral. Then very quickly change the gear without leaving it in neutral for any time. When the t/c sits in neutral, it loses the speed sync and then you have to turn it off to shift it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jeffy777

Speaking of which i found it kinda weird shifting between H and HL it grinds. I know this sounds dumb but I should fo it on neutral right? And I drive on HL normally
As stated by others:

1.) You should have your vehicle off to switch from H to HL or from one set to another. I have been told by a number of people you can put it in N and slam it from H to HL and it will work without a grind. They said in combat you are not going to shutoff the vehicle.

2.) Additionally HL is not designed well for payment as all the wheels move at the same rate as you turn and it will tear things up.

I was suggesting this as a test. Don't go far just see if the Jolt is still there and report that. So are you saying HL does not jolt?

Chagawaga

I have been driving on HL since I got it... I am a newbie to this world. I could've swear I read a sticker that says to drive on HL.
Now I am thinking to start thread about how to shift and drive the 4WD on the humvee

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pardon my ignorance... what do you mean by read the 10?

Sorry, I just assumed you knew or know of the Technical manuals. My bad...all the info you need is in the TM's.
I can't stress enough to learn to read them...they are a wealth of knowledge. The Manual numbers have a meaning, the -10 is an operators manual, this is not specific to the HMMWV, it's military wide. The 24p is a parts manual, the -20's are the books you want that will explain in detail how to perform a specific task like removing the starter or replacing a seal.
The -34 is a direct support/Depot level manual, it gets into component level tear down of items such as generators, starters, Engines etc.....
More importantly is to learn to read the 24p parts manual, when you look at a part number or NSN, you will a lot of times see a thing called a UOC, this is a "use on code" so for a use on code for rear springs example: RCSK18428 SPRING HELICAL,COMP REAR........... 2

UOC:XBB

XBB is an M1114

The UOC's are on page 43 of this specific manual...the first 100 pages of a lot of the manuals have great info...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks