• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

jp-8 and wmo in 6.2.s military test

oddshot

I'm glad to see that they at least gave this a test. The Military generates a LOT of waste lubes. Its nice to see that somebody was doing some thinking.

Although I'm very glad to have this resource, unfortunately, it really wasn't much of a test.

Page 5:

"Used Oil Preparation:

426.7 gallons taken from 81 vehicles as directed by Army Oil Analysis Program
Mixed with stirrer and recirculating pump, 6 hours
Sample collected and analyzed immediately after mixing
All used oil filtered though 25n Fleetguard FF-202 fuel filter"

That's a just 25 micron fuel filter. Most home blenders filter down to 1 micron.

They also didn't heat the WMO or cut it with anything before filtering. WMO blenders/users have proven over and over again that heating the WMO or cutting it with gasoline before filtering helps the filtering process.

Also interesting is that there is no mention or thought of running their WMO stocks through a centrifuge system before blending and use.

Running the WMO through a smaller sized filter or a decent centrifuge would have given it a fairer test.

I'll have to do some digging to see if they did the follow-on field and emission testing.

Last edited:

Beyond Biodiesel

I agree with much of what oddshot had to say, but we have to keep in mind that the test was conducted in 1998, long before anyone was blending solvents with waste oils, so much has been learned since. However, I also agree with him that in light of new developments in waste oil processing, and also knowing that the military has "one fuel for the battle field," which is JP-8, which is fairly light, then it could be blended with waste oils as high as 50%, left to settle for a week to a month, then filtered down to 1-micron, then centrifuged, and they would have a reasonably good fuel that would run on almost any diesel engine with little trouble. However, other findings suggest that direct injected (DI) diesel engines with turbochargers, such as the multifule engine burn waste oil blends more reliably than the old N/A indirect injected (IDI) diesel engines, such as the 6.2/6.5L diesel engines.

Jeepsinker

Well yeah I'm aware of that, just wanted the opinion of some of you guys about it compared to others. Maybe it isn't as good as something else, or maybe it's really great. Idk.

Beyond Biodiesel

JP-8 will need some oil in it if you want your engine to last; however, it is my understanding that the military runs all of their engines in the battle field on JP-8, and they run fine on it.

oddshot

Have you any experience with it used as a cutting agent for WMO? I'm guessing it is about exactly as effective as kerosine?
I do. I was given a very large quantity in the autumn of this year and have been blending with it since.

Your guess is correct, Jet 8 and Jet A are mostly kerosene, as opposed to Jet B which is a naphtha-kerosene blend.

I'm having very good results with it. Even during the coldest weather up here in the hills I had good starts and good cold performance. I haven't checked my mpg's in a while but I don't expect that they've changed much one way or the other.

Jeepsinker

Alright. I was given some as well and didn't want to waste it if it wasn't a good blender. I'm going to start blending and settling WMO soon but don't have enough saved up yet. I've only got about 25 gallons saved in a tote that's been settling for a couple months now with no cutting agent in it.

Beyond Biodiesel

WMO that has not been thinned does not settle. If you are going to use JP-8 as your thinning agent, then I would recommend a 50% ratio, and if you do not have a centrifuge, then settling for a month to 2 months is best.

oddshot

Water and heavier material will settle or separate to the bottom of lighter waste oil. Oil and water do NOT mix ..or "blend". Go here for a simple explanation: http://humantouchofchemistry.com/why-oil-and-water-do-not-mix.htm

If you heat your waste oil, water and heavier sludge will settle or separate faster.

If you blend your waste oil with a thinning agent and agitate it, mechanically or with compressed air (sparging), it will settle or separate faster.

Iceman3005

I work with fuels on a daily basis, jp-8 or jet fuel is identical to kerosene, only difference is the jet fuel is filtered about 20 times before it is sold to the loading rack facility.

Iceman3005

I was up to a 70% wmo and 30% #2 diesel (pump diesel fuel). it ran fine but starting to lose a lot of power. I should have been cutting it with kero or gas. Thanks for posting the article!

camp9

I was up to a 70% wmo and 30% #2 diesel (pump diesel fuel). it ran fine but starting to lose a lot of power. I should have been cutting it with kero or gas. Thanks for posting the article!
I've had good luck with the same ratio, but in the winter I'll change over to #1 or Kero.

Markmoraes

I have run probably 800 gallons of JP-8 thru a 6.2 and my 7.3 in my Superduty, never have had any problems. I have also know many others who have run it with no problems. just have had to filter it, as it was waste JP-8

bobbywalter

www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA349754

I found the link above of a study the military did to dispose of wmo in 6.2's as well as other diesel motors and wanted to share. It's a pdf so copied the link to this hope it works.
I'm glad to see that they at least gave this a test. The Military generates a LOT of waste lubes. Its nice to see that somebody was doing some thinking.

Although I'm very glad to have this resource, unfortunately, it really wasn't much of a test.

Page 5:

"Used Oil Preparation:

426.7 gallons taken from 81 vehicles as directed by Army Oil Analysis Program
Mixed with stirrer and recirculating pump, 6 hours
Sample collected and analyzed immediately after mixing
All used oil filtered though 25n Fleetguard FF-202 fuel filter"

That's a just 25 micron fuel filter. Most home blenders filter down to 1 micron.

They also didn't heat the WMO or cut it with anything before filtering. WMO blenders/users have proven over and over again that heating the WMO or cutting it with gasoline before filtering helps the filtering process.

Also interesting is that there is no mention or thought of running their WMO stocks through a centrifuge system before blending and use.

Running the WMO through a smaller sized filter or a decent centrifuge would have given it a fairer test.

I'll have to do some digging to see if they did the follow-on field and emission testing.

All that data does for me is confirm that running used oils, with some proper preparation, is viable over the long haul.

on edit:

dang it...i fawgged up my perfect post count on this....you bastages tricked me....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks