• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

JP8 in M1009

deepseamax

Does anyone know if there is any downside to running Aviation jet fuel (JP4) in the 1985 M1009's? When I was in Iraq we ran our Humvee's on it all the time because we didnt have diesel. They worked fine.. I'm just curious more along the lines of seals in the engine, rubber gaskets etc.. If anyone has used JP4 I'd like to know how it runs. I work at an airport and have access to fuel that is drained from aircraft for maintenance that cant be reused in the aircraft afterward, so I thought I'd use it if I am able. Thanks

Max

soule64

I was in the army from the time the CUCV's came in until they were phased out and all we ever ran in them was jet fuel - JP-4 in the early days and JP-8 later on. I am guessing that it was part of the NATO streamlining. This really doesn't answer your question about the seals, etc., but I would only assume that the properties and composition are similar and I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I spent the last 28 years in aviation and have dumped probably thousands of fuel samples over the years. It'd be nice to have some of that back...

Chief_919

It is fine on the seals.

It is rougher on the IP, and the lack of lubricty will cause the IP to wear more. If you add some 2 cycle oil to it, or a lubricty enhancer, you can fix the lubricity issue.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JP-4/8 is great for cleaning gunk out of the fuel system, so be prepared to change your fuel filter after a tankful or 2.

I wish I could get some JP-8 for my rigs to clean them out.

frodobaggins

Around 2000 or so we switched everything we had over to JP-8. Everything was run on JP-4 before that. We just had to change filters a few times and that was that.

SGT LongT

Deepsea any chance of you setting aside some JP4. I am on the east coast of florida, but I make a trip to Crystal River every month for my drill weekends. I would love to clean out my engine a little.[thumbzup]

Bighurt

I don't believe JP-4 is still in production. I remember mid winter B-52 starts on that stuff...looked like the sky was on fire. Talk about rolling coal!

flyxpl

I am no expert , but was under the impression they are about the same stuff except for the jet fuel has additives to keep from freezing at 30,000 feet . Also maybe some additives to keep the fuel stable for long periods of time . I fly RC jets with micro turbines and the turbine will burn kerosene or jet fuel . Now that I think about it the diesel may be a little dirtier then jet fuel since the jet fuel is closer to kerosene than it is diesel . Being more like kero then diesel I could see how thier may be a little les lube in the jet fuel .

Bighurt

I'm no expert either. I know that if a B-52 lands at a civilian airport and re-fuels with Jet 1A, they have to red X the aircraft in post ops for an inspection. Also the 6.2L in some of our tugs required re-build after 500 hrs or run time on JP-8, this is IAW the tech data.

lindyp38

JP-4/8 is great for cleaning gunk out of the fuel system, so be prepared to change your fuel filter after a tankful or 2.

I wish I could get some JP-8 for my rigs to clean them out.
racing fuel.......av fuel is pretty pricey for us poor working slobs.......lol...

how bout surplus veg oil.....?

Dave87

I think running jp8 would be ok. The only thing you need to worry about it that jp8 has a higher flash point so in colder climates you might have trouble starting your rig. My dad works in an Aero space facility and I ran that by him, that's when he brought that to my attention. So I think it would be fine in the southern regions. With that said let me also state I'm no expert nor do I claim to be. I'm not sure of the lubrication properties but if you add 2-cycle oil that should help.

Dave87

Correction jp8 and diesel are close to the same. I was thinking jp5 sorry I didn't mean to mislead. Jp8 the ctane rating is different then diesel but I doubt you'd have any problems.

deepseamax

Ok gentlemen, I put 8 gallons of JP4 in the tank yesterday, drove home (7miles) and back again to work.. runs great, no differences other than the smell from the exhaust. JP4 (commercial jet fuel as JP8 is military) doesnt seem to make a difference at all. mileage is the same and idle/pickup is the same. Reg diesel from a gas station doesnt smell as much as the jet fuel, but just in case your wondering, it does run fine. I assumed it was ok since we used it in our humvees in Iraq, they were V8 diesels too. Thanks for all the info and heads up from everyone. I think its safe to say that if either you are rich and can afford JP4 regularly or if you are fortunate to take advantage of someone elses waste... its a good fuel to use in the M1009. :beer:

MAX

philjafo

The whole time I was in the army I never saw a drop of deisal fuel, jp8 was run in everthing from single cylinder gensets to m1009s right on up to the big ass turbines in the m1a1. One of the depot mecanichs that rebuilt the 500hp detroit diesels in the hemmits madee less hp on the dyno when running jp8 but I never drove one with diesel in the tank so its just hearsay.

cdnm1009

I am lucky enough to work at a hanger and crossing my fingers that one of our Aircraft has a fuel cell issue so I can get some free JP8 myself. I see the point with some 2 stroke oil as turbine engines dont require lubrication from the fuel. And whenever we do a fuel cell job we vasoline the O'rings so the fuel doesnt dry them out.

I came into work after being away and saw the guys doing a fuel cell job. Usually it takes the bowser a couple weeks to come up and empty our holding tanks but the bastard came up the next day. I asked our POL guy to told off on the phone call for a couple days to give me time to fill up next time.

Jericho

Guys the major difference is in the additives, We ran JP 4, JP 5 (special) J P 7 JP 8. Jet A1 , some made from coal and BIO. Specific Gravity is the major concern as well as surfactents and anti microbials The only reason you RED X ed he 781 on the jet was because the "OFF FIELD FUEL may not have been certified 20 year jet engine mech and PROPULSION FLIGHT CHIEF