• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Juicin' the 6.2

67_C-30

There has been much debate on the web about the actual amount of HP that the marine injectors truly add... with most folks going by the readings from their 'butt-dyno' in regards to how much power is actually added.

Simply adding different injectors WILL NOT increase power by 40+ HP, Period. The marine injectors have a higher pop pressure requirement, and numerous reports from users that tell of stock truck IP's killed by these injectors. You have to increase the pump pressure, and simply changing injectors won't help. This myth has been debunked so many times by reputable sources on 6.2/6.5 websites. Many guys will simply fall for the sales pitch of a company that advertises '40-hp gain
by using OUR special 6.X marine injectors!'

The 6.2 will not produce blistering amounts or horsepower in a naturally-aspirated fashion. The 6.2 stock injectors will flow more than the injection pump can deliver. The marine injectors require the marine pump setup to work, but it's like a light switch - boats are typically idle/ throttle wide-open, where trucks see a variety of throttle openings and speeds.

Let's see some dyno readings, please.

'Tanner'
^^^This^^^

40HP injectors do not produce 40HP because you can't turn up the IP enough produce 40 more HP without the temp and EGT's going through the roof. I have a set that I bought a lot time ago in the 6.2 in my '67 C-30 and the difference was barely noticeable when I installed them. I was already on the brink of temp being too high when I was towing, so I can't turn up the IP anymore. Go to the thedieselplace and thedieselpage and there are people with dyno tests proving they don't produce 40HP. You can turn up the fuel on a heathy 6.2 IP enough to melt holes in the pistons of a N/A 6.2 with stock injectors.

Now - The marine injectors will support a lot more HP in a boat motor with a whole lake to keep it cool. You can turn the IP much more in a marine application. Heat is the enemy of a IDI diesel. After owning and tuning so many of these engines, I've tried and tried to find a way to make marine HP numbers in a truck, but I can't find a radiator big enough!:evil:

Last edited:

Tanner

C-30 -

I'm not arguing the point about the mythical '40HP marine injectors'...

What I am stating is that many people believe that a huge HP bump can be had by simply changing to these injectors, w/o any additional changes to IP/exhaust/etc. This issue continues to surface because noobs get a 6.2/6.5 and do little to no investigation on what has been done to increase 6.X performance for the past 25++ years.

'Tanner'

67_C-30

C-30 -

I'm not arguing the point about the mythical '40HP marine injectors'...

What I am stating is that many people believe that a huge HP bump can be had by simply changing to these injectors, w/o any additional changes to IP/exhaust/etc. This issue continues to surface because noobs get a 6.2/6.5 and do little to no investigation on what has been done to increase 6.X performance for the past 25++ years.

'Tanner'
No, I'm not arguing with you. I totally agree with you. It is probably the biggest misconception in the 6.2/6.5 world. So many people buy them, and are very disappointed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks