• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump Start Hmmwv?

Pstyckiewicz

Is it possible to jump a Hmmwv with a jump pack or packs? Have a vehicle being dropped off at my house and I'm assuming that it's going to be dead. If there is a way, detailed directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've only had to deal with a dual battery jump start in my M1009, but connecting one jump box to each battery (minding the POS and NEG) works fine. I doubt the HMMWV is any different, but wait for those with more experience to comment.

papakb

If you already have an M1009 then you may also have a NATO slave cable that's perfectly suited for jump starting your HMMWV. When it arrives if it is totally dead you'll want to check the battery connections for tightness and corrosiom, water levels, and put them on a charge for at least a couple of hours before trying to jump start it. Never try to jump a vehicle with completely flat batteries. You can also charge the batteries thru the slave port if necessary and if you find the batteries to be toast I recommend the flat top 24Fs. They'll fit nicely in the battery box end to end and can utilize the original hold down bracket. They're reasonably priced from places like Costco and Wal Mart and that way you can get them replaced anywhere if you have a problem with them.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post number 9 in the below thread shows a picture of how I've jump started my truck from dual 12V battery packs in the past, as well as instructions.

87cr250r

You can jump with a pair of jump packs or you can also use one jump pack and another 12v vehicle. Same with two jump packs, put each source on a battery.

mccullek

Since I now own an M1097R1 and a M1078, I went and picked up a harbor freight 12/24V jump box. They have the 30% sales every few months, and I waited and purchased one at 30% off. It's been a great asset and it comes in handy when needed. I mostly use the 12V, but occasionally I need it on one of the military vehicles. Well worth the costs!

Pstyckiewicz

Not to beat a dead horse, but i really don't want to fry anything on the vehicle. So this is what i was planning. The Vehicle will be dropped of at my house on Sunday. The driver states that it was loaded with a forklift in Yermo and he was asking where the keys were. haha so not the most knowledgeable person to get this thing off the back of his trailer. No idea if it has batteries, and if it does i'm sure they are dead. I just need to get it off the trailer and possible in my driveway. If i get it off the trailer i could just tow it into my driveway. I have TWO 12V CAT 1200 AMP jump packs (COSTCO) that I was thinking would work but i have no idea. I saw the previous post with hooking up the jump packs and that's what I would do. Just to confirm the two jump pack deal wont fry anything?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to beat a dead horse, but i really don't want to fry anything on the vehicle. So this is what i was planning. The Vehicle will be dropped of at my house on Sunday. The driver states that it was loaded with a forklift in Yermo and he was asking where the keys were. haha so not the most knowledgeable person to get this thing off the back of his trailer. No idea if it has batteries, and if it does i'm sure they are dead. I just need to get it off the trailer and possible in my driveway. If i get it off the trailer i could just tow it into my driveway. I have TWO 12V CAT 1200 AMP jump packs (COSTCO) that I was thinking would work but i have no idea. I saw the previous post with hooking up the jump packs and that's what I would do. Just to confirm the two jump pack deal wont fry anything?
If you have two good batteries and don't exceed the starter duty cycle, you won't need the jump packs.

If you have two dead batteries you still don't need the jump packs because as someone mentioned above, it's not good to use them on dead batteries.

If you have dead or weak batteries you may as well charge them up first.

Be mindful of POS and NEG - with two batteries it can get a little confusing.

So, if you buy two good batteries today you'll be ready when it gets to your house. If you didn't see batteries in the auction pictures there won't be batteries in it.

The best thing you could have done was have it shipped from Yermo to Retired Warhorses first, let Steven and his team (dear Lord I hope that man has a team) give it the once over.

Pstyckiewicz

No pictures of batteries. I did observe that they had the seat still installed with a jump pack and slave cable to start it. So moral of the story is dead batteries plus jump parks attached and left attached to start will equal some electrical problem. Or is it just bad for the batteries.

thanks for your knowledge!!!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be shocked if GP would take the time to install and then remove batteries.

Pstyckiewicz

Update
Got the truck the other day. No batteries. I did borrow some to get it off the trailer and into my driveway. Any suggestions on what batteries to put in. Leaning towards the cheaper options.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
as stated, do not try to jump start with dead batteries or you will let the magic smoke out of your start box, regulator or alternator (price a 200amp unit) , starter etc and be many $ poorer and much more wiser.

Do not ask how i know such things...
It's a smell to remember isn't it .

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update
Got the truck the other day. No batteries. I did borrow some to get it off the trailer and into my driveway. Any suggestions on what batteries to put in. Leaning towards the cheaper options.
This subject has been covered many times, try searching the forums, short answer group 24 seems to be a common "cheap" way out, make sure to secure them and I would only use AGM batteries under my wife's derriere, that box is fairly sealed so hydrogen gas buildup could be an issue.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
as stated, do not try to jump start with dead batteries or you will let the magic smoke out of your start box, regulator or alternator (price a 200amp unit) , starter etc and be many $ poorer and much more wiser.

Do not ask how i know such things...
I was under the impression that a generator is capable of dealing with completely dead batteries which is why the military uses them instead of alternators, which do NOT like trying to charge them when completely dead. I know I've helped replace alternators in vehicles with failed batteries after a few too many jump starts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks