• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump Starting a M1008

tgtaylor64

My friends M1008 will not turnover when cranked. The starter is new and has the Doghead relay mod. The truck is stock 24 VDC. I tried using my M1009 and a NATO slave cable. His voltmeter on the dash showed almost in the green. Nothing. I verified 28 VDC+ on the buss bars. I can hear the Doghead relay click when I turn the key to start. I put in a known good front battery and the truck starts right up! Any ideas? Why did the jump start not work??

amphi

If the rear battery is near or fully charged and the front battery is low or dead, most of the voltage will be dropped at the rear battery resulting in less than 12v to the starting circuit (relay).

This is why it is important to follow the TM and wait three to five minuets before starting.

Quote from the TM:
"Wait 3 to 5 minutes after hooking up slave cable to "dead" truck, before attempting to start it. Damage to the truck’s electrical system may result if the truck is started sooner."

See this post: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...cv-and-5-ton&p=1026048&viewfull=1#post1026048

K9Vic

I can confirm that if there is a bad battery it will not even jump. Had that issue with a M1009 and did not start with the slave cable and after putting in new batteries it stated just fine.

HASSON1911

The other thing to add, if you do jump a truck with a bad battery(ies) and started it, you only started it because you used the juice from the jumper vehicle. Once you take off the cables, the truck is only taking juice from the alternator. Prolong use of this will burn it out, due to the fact the battery isn't holding a charge, and is using the power as quickly as its coming in. Just something to remember, and save you some pennies down the road!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks