• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump Starting Question

goldneagle

I have a battery booster unit that will put out 12 volt or 24 volts. We have used it to start my friend's Deuce before. This booster/jumper is a WW Grainger product. I hope this helps someone.

ygmir

has anyone ever tried jumping with a portable arc welder?
Mine is 24V D.C.
I know it'll put out a bunch of amps...........
I wonder if it'd work direct?

Henry

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure. It must be a DC machine. Turn the amperage setting down to about minimum. Be careful of the polarity of your leads. When using "Reverse Polarity", electrode is Positive.
The jaws don't open wide on electrode holders, so C-clamp a small scrap of metal to the positive terminal of your batteries & attach the it. Then attach the ground lead (-), to the frame or bumper.

If anyone is concerned about the compatability of this procedure, check with a meter, the open circuit voltage of a comercial battery charger. Its about the same as a welder. Its best to charge batteries slow, with any charging system, so don't get carried away with the amperage.

Lee in Alaska

ygmir

I wasn't really referring to charging, more, I was referring to "boosting" or "jumping" the vehicle to start.
I'd think you'd want the amperage up a ways to do that?
Just clarifying/wondering
Henry

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi

Battery chargers will put out 100 amps & more sometimes. I try to minimize the higher charging rates, but sometime you don't have that luxury. Certainly, I have jumped the starting systems, but keep an eye on things. Hydrogen gas is given off during the charging, so its best to apply & remove the ground, away from the battery. They can & will explode! Be careful

Lee in Alaska

dc3coyote

I have a Dayton fleet battery charger that has 24 volt high and 24 volt low.
Also at work we have a jumper pack that does 12 volt and 24 volt.
We use the jump pack to start our international fuel trucks, when the avaitors leave the lights on in them.
It works great I heghly recommend it. I will get the info from it on Monday.

emr

The Mother of ALL battery chargers/boosetes is the ASSOCIATED 6-12-18-24 volt. will charge all rates will jump all voltages, and has some amasing other tricks, if one wanted to really get into saving old and just really working there batteries, it has multi functions one that will heavy dutily desulphate BUT it puts so much juice into the battery It;s temperature must be monitered thru the process, but this baby is in the $700 range, up from $500 2 years ago, Ive been reading up on and asking all the manufacturers andf this is the one to beat, Randy

wdbtchr

What about jumping a truck with no batteries with a Nato slave cable and leaving the cable hooked up while the jumped vehicle is running. Wouldn't the vehicle doing the jumping batteries protect the alternator? I was told way back to not have the engine on in the vehicle doing the jumping to protect the alternator from a spike when the jumped vehicle starts and it's alternator kicks in. Follow, I hope, my head is spinning.

emr

The TM says to hook up the slave vehicle first then the donnor vehicle and then start the donor vehicle and run at 1000 rpm then start slaved vehicle and wait until slaved truck is running smoothly before removing slave cable, i think i remember that is the military way, as for not haveing the vehicle running means nothing, a good set of bats jumping another good but drained bats does not need a running engine, but if it does not start right away common sense says it will wear down the donor battery fast, so let it run this way it is being recharged.never jump and run a truck with no bats the alt will smoke a diod, and need serviceing, may not on all vehicles but it definitely does on mil trucks.just not worth doing...randy

dmetalmiki

dead starts

I have NATO(single post) jump leads((with exenders that run to my 12/24 gen set if required!)) AND the U.S. mil. (duel post) ADAPTORS. starts ANY mil vehicle nato/u.s./eastern block. (inc. TANKS) very usefull and essential items for any "kit" ::I have frequently) jumped vehicles. YES. connect first. start donor. start disabled and run at just under 1000 rpm's::: (With mil jump cable) starting disabled vehicle without batteries is ok BUT swith OFF AND STOP disabled vehicle engine BEFORE removing jump cable..... P.S. Of course make sure the disconnected batt cables in the disabled vehicle battery compartment dont short circuit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks