• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jumping procedure on M1009?

msoumas

Ok, I'm new to here and to CUCVs in general. I'm looking at a CUCV blazer a few states away, but it's listed as "running condition unknown". I have a friend nearby who I may be able to get to give it a quick prelim inspection, and possibly check the running condition of it. I can get a key made, they can bring a little bit of diesel to fuel it for a test... but I don't know if there's any sort of special jumpstart procedure with the 24v system. I understand they have two batteries, and I'd imagine there is a specific one that needs to be jumped in order to start the truck?

M1075

The CUCVs, like most military vehicles, have a 24V system. It is best to jump a 24V truck with another 24V truck. Using the military slave cables makes it easy. Try the search tool on the site for a lot of good information that will help you get this truck up and running. If it were me, I would just take 2 replacement batteries.

ida34

The starter and glow plug system uses 24 volt. One battery (the front one) is the one that goes down when you leave the lights on or such. You can get away with jumping just the front battery from another vehicle in a situation like leaving the lights on but if both batteries are down then you need two regular vehicles or two 12 volt jumper batteries. The rear battery is just used for the starter and the glow plugs (military batteries if installed). The front is used to power the rest of the trucks systems which are still 12 volt.

msoumas

And one last question.... I know the condition codes aren't a replacement for physical inspection, but is H7 something I should even go to the trouble for, or is that typically a lost cause?

ida34

I drove my H7 deuce home and the only thing I had to fix was a speedo problem. My cucv was an H7 and it needed a new starter and flex plate. Don't go by the codes. Go look at it. Good luck.

msoumas

Re: RE: Jumping procedure on M1009?

m4A1 said:
If it is at a GL sale you might check and see if the site allows you to add fluid in to test it.
It looks at this point like I am going to have a friend in the area give it a look-over for frame or body rot, and if it looks to be in good shape i'll have it shipped with the risk of mechanical issues.

Fred431

M1009 jumpstarting

If you are planning on bidding on one and d riving it home to Boston I would do this as the last resort. When you pick up anything from GL you must prepare for ALL CONTINGENCIES My M1009 was listed as F7 however when I went to pick it up at Chambersburg it was missing the glow plug controller card as. well as it had two flat tires and no spare . I had brought a portable electric air pump with me and fortunatly the tires held air for the 600 mile trip to NH. In NH you can get a 20 day temporary plate so I was able to flat tow it home. You live in Mass which is a title state which might be a problem for you registering it to tow or drive. You will not get a SF97 for many weeks, My advise to you is get a dealer plate or rent a car trailer.

Fred

msoumas

Re: M1009 jumpstarting

Fred431 said:
If you are planning on bidding on one and d riving it home to Boston I would do this as the last resort. When you pick up anything from GL you must prepare for ALL CONTINGENCIES My M1009 was listed as F7 however when I went to pick it up at Chambersburg it was missing the glow plug controller card as. well as it had two flat tires and no spare . I had brought a portable electric air pump with me and fortunatly the tires held air for the 600 mile trip to NH. In NH you can get a 20 day temporary plate so I was able to flat tow it home. You live in Mass which is a title state which might be a problem for you registering it to tow or drive. You will not get a SF97 for many weeks, My advise to you is get a dealer plate or rent a car trailer.

Fred
The current plan is to have it shipped here, i've already talked to shippers and the cost should fit into my budget if this auction runs anywhere near what i'm expecting. :)

Bozor1000

RE: Re: M1009 jumpstarting

I used a battery charger on one battery and a C4500 top kick on the other battery. Now it fires up anytime I start it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks