• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jumpstarting with cucv

T_F_E

So if the front battery is 12V and you can hook 12V stuff up to it, can you jump start and be jump started if you hook up to the front battery? This is assuming that your rear battery is good.

(on a side note my m1009 is succesfully turbo now I will write a tutorial eventually.)

Westech

CPL
yes and kind. You can have a good front battery and a low rear battery but you cant have a low front battery and a good rear battery unless the battery it self is junk, and at that point it probity wont take a jump anyway. The charging system wont allow 24v to charge with out 12V first. You can hook up 12V stuff to the first battery like winches light ect.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If both batteries are dead, you need 24VDC to slave start the engine. If one battery is dead a 12 VDC jumper can be used to the dead battery. Yes, you can pull 12 volts off of one battery.

3dubs

PLUG:
AAA offers 24V jumps. Some RV's are 24V. You have to ask for a 24V jump when you call for a jump so they send the right truck. You can just call someone with a 24V truck to jump too. It is good to find Steel Soldiers members in your area. When you are working on your truck and you need a jump for reapeted starts someone can come over, drink beer and laugh at you. Oh, and hook the jumper cables up too. AAA will not do that.

AAA should pay me:-D

3dubs

Jumper cables go to the negative on the front batterry and the positive of the rear battery. If you forget the terminals that connct to the truck not the other battery. If you have a NATO slave cable you rock.

Old Hillbilly

My M1009 is a lifesaver when starting my CAT 941 loader which is 24v. I never ran it enough to keep the batteries up so I removed them. Now I just pull the Blazer up next to the loader, hook up the cables for 24v and it starts right up. I checked the two batteries with a voltmeter and got a combined 29 volts. I love my M1009 :wink:

rwbrown72

Does anyone sell a 24volt battery pack? Similar to the 12v ones used for civi cars a trucks.
I just bought one from O'Reilly's. It is on wheels and will do 6-12-24 slow or jump charges. Hold on to your hat when the bill gets there. Works great, but pretty costly. As far as price goes.... it is a lot!

hovenga67

I have jumped both batteries with two different vehicles. One connected the the front battery + to + and - to -. Same thing on the second battery. As long as you do not go from - on the first to + on the second it will be fine. You can even run stuff off of the second battery as long as you run the ground back to that battery.
Brent

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nato cable adapter

What about taking a NATO cable plug and ataching
a simple heavy duty terminal strip to it through
a short cable. The strip would have 4 posts on it
marked + - + - for the AAA guy with 2 12 volt battery packs to attach his leads to. Obviously the
posts would be wired so that the two center posts were in common. I would think that this would also work with getting a jump from two seperate vehicles with seperate jumper cables.

Not that you couldn't do this straight to the battery posts, but it makes things go a lot smother and quicker and less chance for error.

What do you think?
Bruce

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, you cannot make the two negative terminals "common". They cannot ever be connected.

I think, if you need to jump start it that often(to add studs and cables to make it easier), then you need to fix the cause of your dead batteries(much less effort and you truck will be fixed). Seldom, is a fix to avoid a fix, worth doing, long term. Maybe consider getting a second MV so you can use a nato slave cable, when needed.

Simply using two 12v vehicles and two sets of jumper cables, is a fine option, on the rare occasion that it is needed.

M1075

yes and kind. You can have a good front battery and a low rear battery but you cant have a low front battery and a good rear battery unless the battery it self is junk, and at that point it probity wont take a jump anyway. The charging system wont allow 24v to charge with out 12V first. You can hook up 12V stuff to the first battery like winches light ect.
What if you leave the lights or 12v source on and the front battery drains? Wouldn't a 12v jump on the front battery suffice?

CUCV850

What if you leave the lights or 12v source on and the front battery drains? Wouldn't a 12v jump on the front battery suffice?

Yes you can, when I had five trucks in my yard I would keep one good battery in each truck and jump off one bad battery with the portable jump box, this saved me from buying truck load of batteries all at one time.

gwag

dont hook up 12V to the rear battery and think everything is ok.. you only can jump 12v off the first battery.
I've started several this way. I'm getting ready to tie into one that is not charging the rear battery which is why I'm reviewing these older threads!

skark_burmer

dont hook up 12V to the rear battery and think everything is ok.. you only can jump 12v off the first battery.

Sure you can, i do it all the time.
They are both 12v batteries correct? Just attach the neg cable to the neg post, pos to pos and you are set, 12v on either battery you choose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks