• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Junk Air-Packs

m816

I have had problems with every airpac on every fiveton I have woned or had to work on for other guys. A lot of times it isn't the airpac but from all the sitting around that these trucks do before we get them as collectors. I usually wind up rebuilding the airpac then find ut that that isn't the rea problem but the wheel cylinders are full of water and sediment and other crap that gums up the whole works. The way I see it is that the added power boost from the air pack can apply the brakes but the return springs can't overcome the sludge to release them and then they lock up. I just get the jack stands out and remove each wheel and clean everything out lub the berings and change the flex hoses and replace any suspect steel lines until I get back to the airpac and the master cylinder. Then flush all the old silicone out and replace it with new.

militarysteel

are the newer style airpacks better, the longer kind? mine is the original shorter kind, can't fine a good used one. looks like
i am going rebuild one, because R&R is not working out for me.

Rustygears

Many folks have troubles with the air o matic when they recover an A3 because the drag link controller gums up and either does nothing or just uses all the air and does nothing. The usual cause is that the valve assembly is rusty and gummed up from both sitting and a inoperative air dryer. The fix is to make sure the dryer is properly serviced and then to loosen the air inlet on the drag link and to put some air tool or marvel mystery oil in the inlet and then reconnect and cycle the steering in both directions. This usually does the job. It will also oil the ram for the steering as well. Another common failure point is the air regulator for the steering system. The rubber rots out and they leak all the truck air. They are easily replaced for cheap but some folks just bypass it. There are many posts on air o magic and the regulator. Just do a search for lots of info.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
are the newer style airpacks better, the longer kind? mine is the original shorter kind, can't fine a good used one. looks like
i am going rebuild one, because R&R is not working out for me.
As I understand it, the shorter ones are the newer style airpack. The longer ones are original and rebuild kits are available for those, but not for the shorter ones.

harleyrkc

I currently have three M35A2's in the driveway. I just purchased a NOS MC from a member here to repair one of the trucks but the AirPacks have all been good. I plan to rebuild the MC I pull out and put it on the shelf for a spare. But I'd really like to find a used AirPack to rebuild and put on the shelf before I have problems with one of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks