• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Junk CARC

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, today the big light came on in my head. I have one of the repro winch top channels from OD Iron and have needed to paint and install it. I've been avoiding opening a gallon of paint just to paint that part. Thats when the light came on and I realized I had a quart of 34094 that was extremely outdated. I figured I could get this stuff to stick to the plate so I opened it up. Low & behold there was some very thin liquid on top and sludge in the bottom. I worked it for about a half hour to get it mixed up best as I could then added the catalyst. Once it kicked off I thinned it a bit and sprayed the plates. They came out OK. What to do with all this extra paint of questionable value. See the pic below. What I can't figure out is all the gray matter that seems to be in the paint. No worries but it does look odd.

Attachments

bottleworks

Here, the local landfill will take paint at their "Hazardous Household Wastes" area. They don't charge. They ask to leave the labels on (if still there) and to not mix up different chemicals into a single container.

poppop

Kenny, the carc I got from RDC had a lot of sludge in the bottom. I put the cans in the back of my pick-up and rode them around with me for several days on our washboard dirt roads. I would change positions of the cans several times each day. It mixed up pretty good. It would seem your grey color could be unmixed soilids????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I figure you're right Lloyd. No matter as I was able to do what I wanted. At least that corner of the 108 looks less yelller.

rdixiemiller

Kenny
The grey is flattening paste, mainly silica. When that stuff has been sitting for a long time, the stuff settles out and hardens like a rock. You need to mix it with a high speed agitator in a drill for about 30 minutes to get everything back into suspension. The clear stuff on top was the urethane resin (binder) portion of the coating. If it dries correctly, it will kost likely be OK. I have sprayed paint that was several years out of date with no issues.
How well did the mineral spirits thin the stuff?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks