• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Junk Yard Location Info wanted ???

Prankster

I have looked all over the web for the location to some military auto junk yards.
There is a lot of misdirection, and endless searches.

It would be nice to have a list of yards in each state that civilians are allowed to visit.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best bet is to go into the Salvage Yard Info forum, here on SS. I have never seen "a list" of yards. Other than maybe in Dodge City KS, I can't think of any remotely close to your location. (I'd start saving gas money and head to Jack's in Tucson personally:driver:).

Prankster

I have been to Dodge City: twice; you are right: it is a long way!
I have driven by a few used Military car lots in Colorado.
I know of nothing in Kansas, or Oklahoma.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Salvage yard info is more closely guarded than auction info.:p
:ditto:

Members don't like to let their "honey hole" to be know.

With that being said, All the good salvage yards in my general area have all been sold for scrap in the last few years :sad:. I used to love to visit Howard Hammons place.

The days of wandering over acres upon acres of vehicles in junk yards has largely become a thing of the past. High scrap prices are to blame.

Dodge man

The days of wandering over acres upon acres of vehicles in junk yards has largely become a thing of the past. High scrap prices are to blame.

No, junkyards started disappearing long before the high scrap prices. Zoning laws, insurance regulations, EPA restrictions and "improvements" such as Lady Bird Johnson's Beautify America campaign have been killing them off for years. In the part of the country where I grew up we used to have a lot of junkyards but when Johnson started her Beautify American campaign in the mid 1960s they outlawed all but the two largest yards. Starting in the early 1970s, those two were open only to the auto repair shops and didn't even allow individuals in because of "insurance reasons". On the east side of Orlando there were still a lot of junkyards in the early 1980s but then the EPA started clamping down on them about oil leakage and dumping and possible ground water contaimination and that forced a lot of them out of business. Also they had a fire in one here and it was almost impossible to put out because of all the tangled metal that water wouldn't reach, burning tires, burning upholstery, etc and the oil saturated ground that actually burned for days. That caused the locals to enact tough new anti-fire ordanances that also forced many yards to close. Orlando is also a prime tourist destination and they're very protective of their public image and I think that's also contributed more than a little justification to their decision to force out the remaining yards with stiff, new zoning ordinances. :(

Last edited:

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not close, but Jack's Govt. Surplus in Tucson likely can come up with anything you might need...plus a boat load of stuff you might want! 520.574.0300.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks