• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just a couple quick questions about recovering a 5ton

farmboyne

Can a 5 ton be hauled on a step deck semi trailer? Its a 923 on super singles if it makes a difference. Also do most bases have a loading dock? Specifcaly the one in Lincoln NE? And has anybody got one from there before? just wondering if it was a good experiance

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You need to know what the trailers capacity is.
You need to know the combined height.
And a few other things.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pull a 48 foot step deck often. Deck height on my trailer is just a tad under 40 inches. As long as anything I haul is 10 feet or less in height, I am under legal height. Anything over that will need an oversize permit which will cost you between $15 and $50 depending on the state. If you are close on height, just put cribbing under the axles on the 923 and drop the air pressure in the tires to gain a couple inches. Hope that helps.

farmboyne

Thanks, The trailer Id use isn't mine so im not sure on how high it is. I figured if nothing else I could pull the wheels and tires off and just set it down on blocks.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
40 inches is pretty standard for step-decks, but make sure you verify that with your hauler. I haven't measured a 923, but I bet you could haul it without having to pull the wheels. Thats a lot of extra work especially if you only need to gain a few inches. In my mind it's a lot cheaper to pay for the oversize permits than pull the wheels and throw your back out... Just my two cents.

Scarecrow1

My 923A1 is a couple of inches over ten foot tall. But I have seen many of them hauled on flat beds on here. Even two at a time so you should be okay..... Good luck

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not all bases have loading docks/ramps that you can use, when GL states "NO LOAD OUT ASSIST", they mean just that, that means you can not use on base ramps/docks ect.
It took a fight in FL. to use the base ramps to load the mk48s, so if your going to buy a truck, you need to figure out and know how your going to get it loaded BEFORE you buy it, NOT assume that there are a ramp that you can use or for that matter it is even in one peice (the mk48 buyers know what I mean)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you know the person that's going to do the haul make sure they have ramps in case you can't use the base loading dock (assuming they have one). Sometimes you can find a place and make an improvised loading dock. I did that when I bought four deuces out of Little Rock. We found an old foundation that butted up to the road. It was almost the same level as the step deck and we drove them right on. Some drivers charge extra if they have their own ramps. You will have to call to make an appointment to pick up so ask the rep if they have a dock and if the truck is a runner. That is a big plus in getting the truck up on the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks