• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just a few reasons it's good to own a CUCV...

sarge1

These are just a few things I have noticed in my 6 months ownership. I've seen a lot of new people that want a snapshot of what it's like to own one before buying so here is what I've noticed (and for the most part liked) about CUCV's.

Feel free to add on to the list with things you have found to your liking or make you want to scream. :)

1. Sweater vest wearin', Prius drivin' dorks hate the sight of my approach.

2. Most traffic on the roads and in parking lots stay a comfortable distance away, for fear of their plastic cars being destroyed by 3 tons of good ol steel.

3. I am preserving a piece of American History.

4. I am "sticking it to the man" in a variety of ways, simply from it's continued existence on the roadway.

5. If it's ever stolen by a bank robber, they will likely abandon it almost immediately, as running on foot will provide a quicker escape.

6. The bellow of the 6.2 is loud enough to drown out even the most persistent nagging wife/girlfriend complaints.

7. If you can solder a small 12g fusable link to a fat 8g wire with a 30 watt iron in a dark corner of your engine bay in the rain/snow, then you can solder the tectonic plates of the earth's crust together.

8. The Death Wobble makes you thank God at least 3-4 times a week that you are still alive.

9. I sleep well, knowing I am providing even more job security to thousands employed by the EPA.

10. You will probably be the only one in town people refer to as "you know...the guy that drives the Army truck"....

11. Any wildlife you may hit will immediately explode into a bloody, furry haze with little damage to your truck; and rest assured if they got hit by something as loud and slow as your truck, it deserved to die.

12. Hey, free fire extinguisher!!

Last edited:

McCluskey

13. The engine sound when you put the pedal down to go past someone is loud enough to show your level of "pissed off".

14. You get waved through chain-check points in snowy areas based on the on-sight expectation for 4WD.

15. Getting salutes from Fire and LE personal driving around town. I won't correct them, it's nice to get acknowledged one in a while.

Keep it going guys!

Last edited:

davey8943

Sarge.... You definitely have a way with words!

I have to agree 2.5 times (I happen to be a Deuce owner) with number 10. There are more than a few people that know me only as "the guy with the BIG ARMY TRUCK!"

:driver:

Thanks for the post and keep burning that fuel!

Dave

cfish

13. The ability to pull along side the sweater wearing yuppie in their convertable and pull just forward enough so your exhaust spews into their cab![thumbzup]

gvaneck

16. Everyone gives your crap about the engine, the way it looks, and how comfortable it is, but when there stuck in a ditch and you pull up, there thankful.

USArmyMedic07

14. The look on the F350 owner's face when you pull his 50k dollar truck out of the mud hole without ever spinning a tire, and then turn around and drive right through that same hole, and don't spin a single of the aforementioned tires.

(Not hard to do when you have a bobbed deuce on 53's!!!)

Can't wait to put my M1009 on 37" hummer tires!!!

donalloy1

My favorite. Picking up my daughter from middle school and getting the thumbs up from half the campus. Both boys and girls dig the Beast! :p

beetleswamp

big plus: rear end collision with a guy who fell asleep on his pain medication and stomped the gas. Nissan truck was demolished but you could just barely make out the paint marks where he hit me. My friend was riding along that day and he still loves to tell the story.

minus: road taxes here are BRUTAL

Last edited:

edpdx

Paint! I take my rigs in the stix during hunting season. They squeeze down dirt roads that crowd in from both sides and discourage most after 5 or 10 yards. I keep going as the worst that happens is that I get branch marks in the paint. Sometimes the road opens up and I get into some nice back areas. I would not dream of taking my suburban with factory paint that far because of the damage to body and paint.

Camo paint... no problem. Wash and re-shoot with 383, everything is copacetic.

Another thing I like is the feeling I get for driving these all-Americans. Pride maybe. Whatever it is it feels good when I see people pointing out my rig or checking me out on the sly. They maybe saying some crap about "why don't he just get a new one, instead of that old Army junker"; but I like to imagine them secretly envious and a little sorry that they can't jeopardize social standing being the owner of one... but they would if they could.

Related to this is those moments where I see some dude in a H2 or H3 a lane or two over at the stoplight, but other drivers are checking out my rig instead of his "for show" rig. Or some dude in a Porshe rethinking how much fun he could be having in an American made "muscle car" all without 7 years of financing and insurance.

jamesonsdad

agree with sarge on #6 i picked up my wife from work one day and she was "bleh,blah,bleh" put the oh9 in drive and "what"? also my boy loves driving in it he is all about the army...

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
21. Punk ass 17 year olds at drive thrus LOVE US!!!
22. You can drive around forever with a green t-shirt on and no license plates...everyone assumes its a gov't vehicle.
23. You can stand on the hood/roof while putting up christmas lights for the wife.

PAm1009

theres nothing like idling at a stop light dumping hot diesel fumes in the yuppies 70k mercedes whiles hes sitting there with his window open drinking his starbucks latte in hand and 300$ sunglasses... god i love my 1009:grin:

True Knight

It's great having the 50/60/70 thousand dollar trucks see me go through a mud pit and then turn around saying "there's no way I'm gonna make it through that!"

Then the next few days the normal 'safety bubble' distance that people usually keep back increases greatly.

Attachments

Shop Rat Fab

*A forum dedicated to CUCVs that you can go to find an answer or opion in a matter of miuntes.
*The grin you get while listening to the stories your wife tells you about all the people that looked at her and
talked to her about the tank she was driving.
*20MPG
*Washing out the floor with a garden hose
*Going topless in the summer time
*All the cool over sized antennas you can mount to it that don't look out of place

Midnight Rider

OP's #11 is a major plus. I hit Bambi's mom the other day and didn't do a bit of damage. The wife hit a deer in the 08 Jeep and it was $1500 worth of damage.

Grantshire

Besides all the guys staring at a girl driving an Oh9 my daughter's favorite was the temporary parking lot (football practice field) at school this past winter because of construction. There was about 8" of snow on the ground so only 4WD vehicles were allowed on the soft field and they had some of the football players checking vehicles. When she pulled up this jock told her to put it in 4WD and she asked him to "lock my hubs". He just stared at her, then said "What are hubs?" Couple of older construction workers heard the exchange and died laughing. Finally one of them walked over and locked the hubs. Jock still turns red every time she sees him at school.

akguy

Besides all the guys staring at a girl driving an Oh9 my daughter's favorite was the temporary parking lot (football practice field) at school this past winter because of construction. There was about 8" of snow on the ground so only 4WD vehicles were allowed on the soft field and they had some of the football players checking vehicles. When she pulled up this jock told her to put it in 4WD and she asked him to "lock my hubs". He just stared at her, then said "What are hubs?" Couple of older construction workers heard the exchange and died laughing. Finally one of them walked over and locked the hubs. Jock still turns red every time she sees him at school.

So i suppose knowing how to drive a stick shift is a disappearing art????? What is this generation going to do some day when they wakeup and find out that some modern convienence isn't working. For example.........keyless entry fob......"I can't open my door....battery dead." Try the key that is attatched to it maybe???? Just my 2 cents

:soapbox:auaaua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks